Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swivel Frame/Joint

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ks2krpt, Apr 1, 2004.

1. ks2krpt

ks2krpt Registered Member

Has anyone built a swivel joint so your frame can articulate over rough terrain ? What design did you use ?
    Will you share details ?

Thanks
    Paul

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

The only time I have seen this done was a dune crawler years and years and years ago. I believe they had driveline issues because they went so far as to drive all four wheels hydraulically. They had to use one big ass swivel point though. Not as big as a bus mind you but pretty big. Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

There was something like that on TTC 2003. This guy could control the movement by a thing in the cab. It was weird but cool.

4. grd2go

grd2go Registered Member

Here in alaska they build them for moose buggys you can get the springs section out of the rear of a duce in a half army tk try a tk salvge yard for the parts with the pivot piece on it they cut the frame in half cap it and fab the two togather make a couple of stops to keep from going to far and all the ones I see usually have a divorced t-case mounted at that joint also. they run 56 in tires sometimes bigger. at the salvage yard the spring pieces can be found for around $50-$150 /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif