Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swpping tranny troubles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hawglet, Dec 13, 2000.

1. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I'm taking automotive tech. in college and I'm going to swap out my stock 700R4 auto for a 5 speed manual. My manuual drive train instructor thinks I may have to modify the tranny tunnel to clear the bell housing of a manual. Am I going to have this much trouble with this? Hope not.
    Any info. is much appreicated....

Thanks,
    Greg Gayman
    Hawglet
    Stove Top
    hawglet@excite.com

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't see why the bellhousing on a 5 speed would be any bulkier than one for a 4 speed. GM had lotsa 4 speeds in these trucks over the years without any tranny tunnel issues and they all fit quite nicely.
    What kind of 5 speed are you swapping to? (NV 4500?[​IMG][​IMG])

Rene

[​IMG]

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Haven't they taught you how to use a small sledge hammer yet? [​IMG] It's the perfect tranny clearancing tool! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

4. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure yet. The guy I bought my K5 from is buying anounther for $100 for me that has no interior and no motor. all thats left in it is the front rear axles, drive lines, transfer case and 5 speed so i'm unsure of what it is. All I know is if he is going to give it to me I really cant lose, It also has most of the body{fenders,tailgate,hood, doesn't have the top on it though, its a 73 with the full removeable top, It also has the front and rear glass} I will probably just sell what I don't use such as the frame and maybe axles, and body panels. Thanks for your time and efforts.

Thanks,
    Greg Gayman
    Hawglet
    Stovie
    hawglet@excite.com

5. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

They didn't have to teach me that is what dads and grandpas are for, they taught me that a 3lb or bigger sledge is a universal tool.

Thanks,
    Greg Gayman
    Hawglet
    Stovie
    hawglet@excite.com

6. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I think you might have a problem with a stick. Does the tranny hump unbolt from your truck? I would guess that it doesn't. You just might have troubles swapping in that 5-speed. Those trucks never came with a 5-speed, so it's prolly a late-model Getrag (junk) or NV4500 (golden), both of which have shifters that are an inch or 2 rearward of where an SM465 would be normally.

Just get the swazall and a good narrow blade and go to work.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

See Hawglet, you already have all the training required to install that tranny. ;-) With a BFH and a Sawzall you can make almost anything fit! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com