Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

swr? switching between two antennas?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by LKJR, Aug 29, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

ok here's my ? I'd like to have 2 antennas one shorter one mounted to the back bumper for around town but then a long like 102" or something for trails and distance? is it best to make a bracket for the 102" to screw onto and have 2 seperate coax's running up front and just connect with a jumper for the one I want to use? or can i make it work with just one coax? thw whole tuning thing is kinda lost in my head, it's been awhile

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I run a 102" stainless steel whip mounted on my overhead light bar. I do have a pot-belly (heavy duty) spring. I run around town, wacking tree lims, stop lights, and on ocation power lines. I've had no problem with it. With the spring, it lays back as I go dowm the road anyways, I personally would stay with the 102". You can get a quick release for it if you want to, but I don't use one.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a side body mount with a spring loaded 102 inch whip. I've also got a 3 foot fiberglass antenna that will screw into the same spring. Since the SWR adjustment for each antenna is located above the spring, I just set the SWR for each antenna once. Then I can switch between them without a problem. I don't like the 102 inch whip on the trail. It just beats the crap out of the truck and can really hurt bystanders on hard sections where eveyone is standing next to the trail to watch. Many organized trail runs don't even allow a 102 inch whip due to the potential for injuring someone. Those things really get to whipping around when your truck bounces from side-to-side.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just read about Thunder Truck. Very cool.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

You want a 102" for the trail????

WTF? I think you've got those backwards buddy.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Thanks! I built it in the late 80's. Long before K5's were cool. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

K5's have always been cool, just some people didn't know it yet. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif