Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SWR WON'T ADJUST

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by BASSMAN, Jul 8, 2001.

1. BASSMAN

BASSMAN Registered Member

SWR WON\'T ADJUST

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS,JUST INSTALLED A 102" STAINLESS WHIP ON MY PICKUP.I'M USING THE BUILT IN SWR ON THE RADIO AND CAN'T GET THE SWR BELOW ABOUT 3 TO 1. I'VE TRIMED ABOUT 3/4" SO FAR 1/8" AT A TIME AND DON'T SEE ANY CHANGE. SHOULD I KEEP TRIMING OR LOOK FOR ANOTHER PROBLEM. I CAN'T FIND ANY PROBLEM WITH THE INSTALLATION. THE RADIO IS A GALAXY DX 959. THANKS FOR ANY HELP
    I HAVE THE PROBLEM SOLVED NOT SURE WHAT WAS WRONG, I JUST WENT WITH A LONGER SPRING ON THE MOUNT AND TRIMED A LITTLE MORE AND GOT THE READINGS I WANTED.
    THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BASSMAN on 09/16/01 03:26 PM.</FONT></P>

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: SWR WON\'T ADJUST

Did you try extending the antenna before you started trimming it? Sometimes it needs to be longer to get the right SWR. Also, don't try to adjust the SWR with the doors open or parked next to another vehicle or trees or a building. You should be parked in a large open area to tune the antenna. Refelected signals from anything nearby will affect the reading. Just leaving the door open while you're checking the reading will affect it. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. BASSMAN

BASSMAN Registered Member

I TRIED EVERYTHING EXCEPT EXTENDING THE WHIP IT'S NOT ADJUSTABLE THAT WAY,ONLY BY TRIMING. I MAY TRY AN OPEN FIELD THATS ABOUT THE ONLY THING THAT IS A LITTLE QUESTIONABLE . THANKS FOR THE INPUT

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A brand new antenna will have some of the whip extending down into the housing so you can adjust up as well as down. But if you've already cut yours and it needs to actually be longer, then you've got a problem. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Try A Different Meter . The One In The CB May Be Off ..

6. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Try trimming aliitle more. If you've already trimmed than they won't come in until you get back to the right hidth ie 6ft 4 ft. Trim very little at a time. And try using another meter. You can get a CB/HF meter at radio shack for about 15$.

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

This may sound sound silly and insulting, but it is not meant that way. "Make sure you have your SWR Meter on your radio calibrated according to the manual correctly". Most people think you can just flip it over to SWR and set them up. There is a way to calibrate the meter on the radio with one of the knobs before you try to set them. You have to have the meter set in the right place, for example on a cobra 29LTD you put the switch on CAL, key the mike and the meter should go over to the right side and center itself on the red triangle. If it does not you turn the cal knob until it does, then turn it to swr and away you go. Also, try setting it on ch 1, if it is too high on 1 the ant is too short. Then try it on 40, if it is too high you ant is too long. (usually) another thing to check is the length of coax. You should always start with 18 feet and if you need more increase in increments of 3 feet. That is VERY important. The last thing to check is to make sure you are not shorting out the ant. Put a multi tester across the leads (set on 10xohms for a short test) on the ant and make sure you get a 0 reading. if you don't you have a bad coax, the bracket is set up wrong, or something else went ka-put.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)