Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SYE and a Tom Wood driveshaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91gmcjimmyCH_IL, Dec 3, 2001.

1. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

91gmcjimmyCH_IL 1/2 ton status

I just purchased an SYE kit from jb conversions and was wondering when I am putting it in and run into trouble if there was someone who has done the install on the 241 case I could turn to. needed to get the kit so i could run wood's cv driveshaft. With my blazer being at 8" susp. the vibrations were horrible. you see I bought the truck like that being very ignorant to the scene and realizing that I and the person who owned it before made a mistake with 8" of suspention lift on a short wheel base. When i bought it there were only 2.5 degree of shim in the back which made for some U-joint breaking key rattling vibrations. I currantly have 2 six degree shims for a total of 12 degrees in there now which turned out to be too much but will be perfect for the cv shaft. I know i should get the perches rewelded but with a 14 bolt on the way and lacking skills to weld I just have to go with rediculous shimming.

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had mine done. Pull it yourself and take it to a shop that knows transfer cases.

On the shimming: Wait until you get it done right and THEN have the perches moved :)

Dave

Horn Broken... Watch For Finger.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No sense in moving the perches on a 10 bolt rear with 36" tires anyway...it won't last long.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Argeed. My 10 bolt with 31's didn't last long, but I think the Diesel had something to do with it and also being buried in a mud hole too!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

8 inch lift a mistake? Why do you say that? Just because it wasnt lifted the right way? I have an 8 inch lift and I feel it was FAR FAR from a mistake.

Ken H.

'86 K5 up and coming
    14 bolt(Detroited),10 bolt,39.5 Boggers rear,
    TSLs front, 468 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Bs, dont take the T-case anywhere. Do you have any mechanical skills at all? If so, you can install the 241 SYE kit yourself. If is by far the easiest mod I have ever done.
    The instructions that come with the conversion kit from JB's is line for line, step by step. Real easy to do.
    As far as the CV shaft goes, your gonna need an output flange instead of the standard output yoke that comes with the 241 SYE kit. I think JB's sells that too but only for a 1/2 CV driveshaft. If you want to go to a 1 ton CV you will need to call Jesse at Highangle Driveline.
    Also, the only problem I had with the JB converisons kit was that the seal that came with the kit didn't fit the output bearing retainer plate, which Jessee supplied when he sent me the driveshaft.

But honey, this is the last thing I need to get for the Jimmy....?!?!?!?!?!?[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

7. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

Thank you guys for your help It was much appreciated! From what i've been hearing I think I'm going to get my shaft from jess. One question though is it that much better to get the flange than jsut the yoke?

8. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

the flange is the only way right now that the 1 ton c/v will bolt to any transfercase- is it a better design - i'd say its equal - strong as heck the one ton set up- Jess

Owner of High Angle Driveline http://highangledriveline.com

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Straight from the man himself. [​IMG]

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

10. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

tim go to the chatroom or PM me

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

8" lift on slip yoke transfer a mistake. It was done the right way. With four leaf springs.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles