Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SYE/CV Shaft Poll

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firefighter184, Mar 6, 2006.

?

SYE Kit or CV shaft?

Poll closed Mar 16, 2006.
  1. CV driveshaft

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. SYE Kit

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Who cares unless it's naked with a bag o' Cheetos?

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Ok here it is:

1) SYE Kit $300, plus new shaft $200, plus labor???

2) CV driveshaft, CV joint actually on the end of the 241 tailshaft (pretty cool) $260

I can buy the CV shaft and install myself, I have to pay somebody to do the SYE install.

What do you guys think? I have the Blazer lifted 4inches, driveline vibe.

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Ive got a CV flange mounted on the tailshaft with the SYE, and I got a HAD 1350 CV shaft. I like this setup a lot. Oh, and it got rid of ALL my driveline vibes. I couldnt do over 40 mi/hr before.

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have this same setup and with 9" of lift. No vibration - from the shaft anyway... I've had this setup for 4 + years... Now if I can just balance my beadlocked 42" IROKs I will be in good shape...

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

If you are halfway mechanical and have a good set of snap ring pliers, you can install the SYE yourself...

5. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I know this is off topic but have you shimmed down the tcase? I had bad vibes with 4 inches until i shimmed my case down. Might be something to check in to until u decide which way to go.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you need to save money , think about how you use the rig .

I really do wheel my DD as much as and hard as I can , and my CV slipyoke shaft is holding up well , albeit with 33's .

I DO RUN ROCKS with mine , and go easy on the pedal . And I HAVE sat the truck gently on the 208 .

No vibes until after 70 mph on the freeway , then the truck itself shakes because its an old truck with rock rashed balance weights :thumb:

But ya know what , you really do need the SYE , and a 14 and a 60 , and Swampers tooo :rolleyes:

7. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Trust DPI, you can install the SYE yourself w/ minimal tools. It's not rocket sciece. And it can be done w/o removing the case from the truck, that's how I did it. Go for the SYE I doubt you will ever regret it.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Werd

9. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I talked to jesse at Had and the whole she-bang isnt cheap, I was given just a quote, but it made me have second thoughts about getting the whole setup. This was for the kit, flange, and driveshaft. A little over 800 is out of my price range.

for now. :D

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If you want to play, your gonna pay.

11. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

true, very true indeed

12. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

I thought so at first too, then in one pass my truck went from stocker, to one ton on 40's. Save up and research. Do everything you want at once. It'll be cheaper than replacing parts time and again IMO.

13. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Put a set of $15.00 (3*)shims on the rear spring perches. If it makes it worse, reverse them. If it goes away, your done. If it gets a little better. Spend another $15.00 on some 4* or 5* shims and sell your old ones to someone else.
    Hell, if you want some to test, PM me your address and I will just send you some. I think I have 3* and5* I will look tonight.

14. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I have the JB conversions SYE on my 241, and got a 1350CV driveline from HAD. All in all it was 800 bucks.....but it was worth every penny. THe driveline looks bulletproof, and I have no vibes even at 80mph.

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Here is my take on this situation from my experiences. I run a 208 case in my truck with 4" of lift. I do have vibs when I let on or off the gas pedal but ONLY for the second you are between power and coast.

I would try and get rid of your driveline vibs by shimming the tcase or axle first. If that doesn't solve the problem then I MIGHT consider the SYE and CV. The problem in my mind is the cost of dropping the money on an SYE kit and then 2 CV driveshafts. Even with a bombproof driveshaft I wouldn't do any hard wheeling without a spare driveshaft.

I have 2 spare driveshafts for my K5 plus the one in it. Total I have about $150 invested in ALL 3 shafts and the washers it took to lower my Tcase to get my driveline vibs in a tolerable range.

Harley

16. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

how far did u lower ur tcase??
    i need to lower mine more... the PO did about 3/4in i think... but its not enof
    i got a 18 degree angle at the pinion
    how far should i shim the axle?