Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SYE for my 89 241?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i want to get a CV shaft made for my blazer. i was thinking while im going to the trouble i should get rid of the slip yoke. is there a bolt on kit for this? how much and how hard is the install? I think JB conversions sells one,is there another company thats better? is it something you can do in a driveway?

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I used a company out of Arizona. I think it was $500 for a cv style driveshaft and SLE. I think it was www.Driveshaftsuperstor.com . Their SLE was a new output yoke that had a hole in the center so you could put a bolt through it into the output shaft. The only thing I didn't like about the kit was having to heat the last 2" of output shaft so I could drill and tap it for the bolt. It's held up fine to the weight and abuse of my "90 Suburban on 38's though. I would recomend this kit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

sounds like a pretty nice deal.
    what style shaft did you go with? regular, high angle or 1 ton?

[ QUOTE ]
    The only thing I didn't like about the kit was having to heat the last 2" of output shaft so I could drill and tap it for the bolt.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have to remove it and do it on a drill press right? how difficult is it to remove the output. did you take the whole case out or remove the tailhousing with the case still under the truck.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just get the JB kit...comes with a nice brandy new mainshaft you don't have to heat and drill /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

We just installed a JB kit in my buddy's 89 Blazer, look for a write up soon.

Rene

6. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just get the JB kit...comes with a nice brandy new mainshaft you don't have to heat and drill /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

We just installed a JB kit in my buddy's 89 Blazer, look for a write up soon.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the exact same in my 91 Blazer three weeks ago. What output yoke are you guys running? Also, that rubber thing that's got the same amount of splines as the output shaft that the yoke sits on... WTF is that for? Lastly, if you need any pictures, let me know.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That rubber thing is a washer, drop yoke on, then washer, then nut.

I've got about 40 pic's already.

Rene