Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SYE or CV?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Chris, Dec 22, 2004.

1. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i got a '91 k5 with a 241 with slip yoke, 6" lift, and 14b FF rear. bout to do a home made shackle flip. if i got the extreme short kit, would i still need a CV rear shaft?

im trying to decide weather to do a 1350 cv rear shaft and keep the slip yoke, or go ahead and do the extreme short kit, with a regular 1350 shaft.

[​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

One way or the other, you're spending money. Ditch the slip. Period.

3. heavytlc

heavytlc Registered Member

I have the same truck, 1991 k5, 14bolt, 60, flip in rear, 6" SPRINGS in front. I drove it for 10-12k until I went with the standard sye, 1350cv. That was about 10k ago. It works great, I wish I would have waited for the short version though. It might work without the cv with the short kit, but if you are going to a 1350, it is not tons more money to just go cv. I was amazed at how much smoother the cruise control works with the cv, it was real jerky around 60-70, with the stock shaft, and slipyoke. I know it will work with just the 1350 joint, but if you drive lots of highway miles, I think you will like the cv.

4. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

id love both right now, but i just cant afford both. i think i might go with the 1350 cv slip yoke shaft with 1410 at the pinion. then, later on, i can do the extreme short kit with ebrake, and convert the shaft. i just need something to fix this evil vibration.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would do the CV shaft with a 6" lift. You probably won't be able to slip the slipyoke out unless you have lots of flex.

Harley

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ditch the slip and go 1410.

7. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

think i won't have vibrations with the SYE and a 1410 non-cv shaft? anybody running this setup on a k5?

8. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

Not trying to hyjack, just keep this thread going. I have the same issues, just did a shackle flip and w/o shims, the pinion is pointing directly at the TC which is perfect for a CV shaft. Looking at Tom Wood's Custom Driveshafts http://www.4xshaft.com/ a CV shaft isn't too much $$ but I don't want to spend it for a CV shaft if I should do the SYE on my 241 first. Being a '90 w/ elec speedo, I can use the super short kit. Money is of course always a factor and this is a DD so vibes are a priority over strength.

Also, I have heard something about using a Caddy CV shaft of some sort. Anybody know what specific app'n works? This may be a low $$ solution for now.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd say, SYE and get a 1350 or 1410 standard shaft made. I wouldn't deal with Tom Woods myself. Some of the stuff I've seen him do underhanded to hurt Jesse over at HAD isn't cool in my book. Not to mention I've heard of more of his shafts failing than HAD ones. I'd just go to your local driveshaft shop and have one made unless you are going with a cv shaft, then go to HAD. So yeah SYE kit, shim your pinion down(shackle flip points it up) and go with a standard shaft.

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

me personally I'd vote sor the sye