Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sylvania Silver Star headlight replacement guide

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric M., Oct 12, 2004.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Sylvania

Someone posted how well the Silver Star headlights worked and there was some confussion as to wether Sylvania made the Silver Stars for our year GM trucks. I was under the impression that there were only 2 types of headlight set ups from 73 to 87, 2 light and 4 light. Guess I was wrong. There is even a difference between the 4 light set ups for 87 pick ups and the 89 Burbs. I ordered a set for my 87 ... I hope they work better than the Halogens I have, I've gotta drive with my hi beams on when up in the mountains. Maybe it's just my eyes!

Eric M.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh 89 is when they switched to the side by side lights instead of the over unders. Tell me how you like em, im thinking about a set for my truck, my lights suck

3. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

try wiring a couple relays so your low beams have 100% voltage and current, this helps just about any rig.
    Watch those silver stars, the Cool blues I have been running in my PSD burn out quickly like in less than a year. Evidently the Blue or White lights are run on the hairy edge of their capacity to get the hotter light and thus do not last as long.

Tim

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    try wiring a couple relays so your low beams have 100% voltage and current,
    Tim

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you mean? There aren't any resistors or form of resistance in the wiring path between headlights and alt. / battery source to reduce the voltage. And current draw is a relation between resistance of the load and voltage, you can't really limit that other than the originating source not having enough current for the load.

I'll try anything, shot me a scematic (sp?) of what you mean.

Eric M.

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

The resistance is in the long wire run and headlight switch.

Try this schematic .

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Try this schematic .

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense. I'll let you guys know if these Silver Stars are brighter. If not, I'll give the wiring a try .... much cheaper than the next step, HID.

Thanks for the link.

Eric M.

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I put these in my daily driver S-10. and I am disappinted in them greatly. They are a whiter light, but maybe as bright as my stock bulbs were.

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I put these in my daily driver S-10. and I am disappinted in them greatly. They are a whiter light, but maybe as bright as my stock bulbs were.

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that sucks. I guess I'll try the wiring solution if I have the same results.

Eric M.

9. four_by_ken

Now, on my motorcycle... I bought a PIAA bulb. Cost me $40!
    But it is supposed to be an offroad bulb and hold up to the vibrations better.
    Now that is a much better buld, no questions asked!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Try this schematic .

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense. I'll let you guys know if these Silver Stars are brighter. If not, I'll give the wiring a try .... much cheaper than the next step, HID.

Thanks for the link.

Eric M.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you got a multimeter, go out and measure the voltage at the bulbs with the lights on. Chances are you will see 12V or less at the bulb, even though the battery is at 14v when running. This is why the lights are not as bright as they could be. As it was said, the battery voltage goes from the battery, to the fues block, to the switch and back out again to the lights. All the voltage is being carried by small gauge wire. No, there is no resistor, but all that wireing is still resistance.

I saw the schematic that DP_90K5 posted and plan on doing that exact setup on my 75. You'd be suprised what a actual 14V to the bulbs will do for brightness.

11. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Does PIAA make headlights for our trucks??

Eric M.

12. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Also, you can get conversion kits for really cheap that convert from sealed beam to modern style plugin lights(9004,9005, and such). Even uses the same plug and they come in a variety of wattages, you can also get the blue ones and hyper whites. Check out JC Whitney.

13. four_by_ken

Pretty saure PIAA does. I think my bulb is actually for a non motorcycle vehcile.

14. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Got my Silver Stars and put them in. As Ken said, they are whiter but I doubt they are much brighter than the halogens I had in before. It's kinda hard to tell driving in the city, and it may be a little while until I hit the mountains, but from what I see, I'm not too impressed. I'll have to fool around with jumping a 10 guage wire directly to the headlights at night and see if the relay / rewiring deal works any better.

Eric M.

15. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

i put the silver stars in mine (7" round) and like them alot. not much brighter, but better pattern.

16. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i put the silver stars in mine (7" round) and like them alot. not much brighter, but better pattern.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you have in before? Halogens or regular headlights?

Eric M.

17. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i did the conversion on my 85 burb. way better then stock. it vibrates alot though because the replacement housing is a tad smaller then the retainging ring. i have the silverstar h4 bulb in them and when those do out im getting some street glow bulbs. ive heard nothing but good things about the street glow bulbs.