Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

symptoms of a bad power stering pump?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darkshadow, Jul 31, 2004.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

my pump was scueeling a bit befor and ever once and a whille, it would be hard to turn the wheel mid turn i checked and filled the resivor with fluid. and i got a bit better, but it still is a little hard once and a whille, it sorts jerks the wheel, like power comes bock then off.

do you think its ready to be replaced?

also my oil psi drops very low when idling after high speed, but comes back after i rev it, bad pump??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

whats your belt like?

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the belts a little loose but not that bad PITA to get it tighter. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Definatly time for a new PS pump, but the problem you describe with the oil pressure, is unfortunately you motor going south, sounds like the bearings init are getting worn to the point were they can't make pressure at an idle,plus the pump is a little worn also, sounds like it's time to start lookin for another engine, but I have been driving my ford taurus around in that same condition for over four years, just have to turn up the idle a bit and keep my foot onthe pedal at stop lights, and always make sure it has plenty of oil in it. good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

common issues with GM RWD p/s systems

belt slipping due to loose or worn belt, or worn pulley groove(mirror looking smooth in the groove on the sides and shiny belt sides)

f belt is slipping then it usually causes jerking steering mainly at lower RPM

if is noise growling all the time then pump is gone, if it makes noise when turning especialyl lower RPM then most likely pump is worn

leaking, alot of them leak out the front shaft seal, time for at least a new seal if not new pump

easy to find good used pumps, buy a dead truck of same year group as your p/s setup and swap if its in good shape not leaking and no pulley shaft slop

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the moter is a crate 350 from gm has only 60000 KMS on it and has been treated well. would it be worth it to get a new pump in it, or is it jus going to go on me anyway?

the oil pump can be acessesed by removeing the oil pan right? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Even if you get a new PS pump if you can't get the belt tight it will still squeel and cut your Power steering on and off when the belt grabs and slips.
    Your oil pump problem, my first check would be the gauge since its the easiest check make sure it and the sending unit are working correctly.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

as far as the ps pump i think the tention needs to ba addresed, i was thinking of takeing it to a gerage to change all the belts just so i don't have to deal with it. its a PITA to do it, i could get it right if i had help, but i dont got any wrenching buddys, so.

and i am sure the sending unit works fine, because it dose it so constantly and always responds to rpms.

its not that hard to do a pump is it?>????? i might as well eh? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

how hot is the steering pump and box when the pressure seems to fade? i would look into running a tranny cooler in the steering system.

how low is low oil pressure. are you maintaining 10psi per 1000 rpm?

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well that question is a little hard to answer
    why?
    well i dont have a tac so i dont know my rms.
    and 2 mine in a canadian truck so the gauge in in kilopascals?????
    that is kg/Mx2 so 2.2 lbs per a square meter. i have no idea how to convert it

the gauge has o-200-400
    start up idle-150-200
    cruse 275ish- 300
    idle at stop (after driveing) drops to almost 0
    but will kick up if i rev it