Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Symptoms of a bad water pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Sep 17, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

My bud has a firebird w/ a 305 that has been over heating. he came to my house and we were going to change the T stat but when he pulled up we noticed it was leaking coolant and gurgling (noise) around the water pump. I am pretty sure that's what is causing the problem. Just wanting a second opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Thanks for any help /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They leak water out of the bottom of the "snout" on the front of the pump.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have had them leak, but the most recent one had a pulley that wobbled like crazy (happened at real truck challenge).

4. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

My most recent incident with a water pump happened in the middle of nowhere (south of Pueblo, CO. The bearing gave out -wobbly pulley, and when I opened the hood to see what was going on 200+ degree coolant was coming through the bearing seal, hitting the fan and spraying 20 feet out of the side of my hood /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif ...I would say replace that pump in the comfort of a driveway rather then on the side of I-25 with minimal tools late at night. Just a suggesiton /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Amazingly, my most recent bearing failure did not leak a drop.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Friend has ruined multiple water pumps on his race car, probably similar to what you saw with the wobbly pulley. he runs (ran?) a flex fan and it appeared that for whatever reason, the water pump pulley was being pulled forward, taking the water pump shaft with it.