Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

symptons for cracked frame?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kartoon, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Kartoon

Kartoon 1/2 ton status

i have been having steering issues but i think that frame could be cracked. its a 1990 3/4 suburban, 4" lift with 35s. what happens is the truck will pull hard to one side, if i jerk the steering wheel to the opposite way, it will begin to pull to that side. but inbetween all this, sometimes it will drive in a straight line.

I looked around the steering box but couldnt see anything, but i really should take the steering box off and inspect whats under it right? From searching i have found the ORD steering brace and repair kit which i am going to buy. Just wondering if this sounds like it will fix my problems for if its something else. thanks!

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i would have someone turn the wheel while you inspect the steering box, watch it closely, and see if its walking off the frame, thats what i learned in my research a while back

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Or see if the bolts are loose.

4. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Symptoms of frame cracking? Cracks... Just look at the box mounting from under the vehicle.

5. balterbuilt

balterbuilt 1/2 ton status

check the balljoints too. have someone sit in the truck and see saw the steering wheel and see if there is ecessive wear in the balljoints. Also, grab the tie rod and see if you can move it (rotationally) by hand easily. These could cause you steering greif as well. Check your fluid level. If you don't see a crack on the backside fo the frame then it's not goign to be cracked on the other side behind the box either. Make sure the bolts are tight and check your steering column. The joint that meets the box could be toast too.

6. Kartoon

Kartoon 1/2 ton status

thanks guys, ill try the mentioned things and see if i can pinpoint it down.

7. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I agree with the ball joints, a little play is all it takes. Had it happened to 2 trucks.

8. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

Check for frozen axle joints.

9. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

arent 3/4 ton frames alot tougher? seems like the frame wouldnt be the problem

10. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

i dunno but im dealing with a cracked frame behind the steering box in my one ton right now. had crossover with no hydro assist so that didnt helpp

11. balterbuilt

balterbuilt 1/2 ton status

3/4 ton 1 ton 50,000 ton, they can all break. Did you find anything out yet? Don't ya hate it when there is a ghost problem!

RIght now i'm dealing with what i thought was the transfer case losing a bearing. We took the case apart, rebuilt it, noise was unafected! Ugh. Clattering so loud you can't think.