Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Symtoms of a broken center pin??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Jul 20, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a clunk in my front end braking and turning sometimes. It's just a small noise that I feel in the floorboards. Every component in the steering system is brand new. Just wondering if this is a possible broken center pin? I can't see any noticeble movement in the perch area ie. scruffed paint or anything like that. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I have zero rates with axle relocated 1" too BTW.

Second question I'll throw this in since it is related.

if I have to take this apart to check I am gonna redrill my perches for another 1/2" of wheelbase. Do I need to weld up the old holes first to do only a 1/2"?? Will the holes be to close if I don't? I think my driveshaft is just a bit too long, and I wouldn't mind a little more clearance at my firewall so this would solve two problems at once.

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The clunk is probably in the leaf spring bushings either on the leafs or the shackel at the frame.

Not sure on welding the holes up but I think you will have to. You need a 3/8" hole so they will run together.

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

have somone cycle the steering while you watch the spring. Also hold the spring while they cycle the steering. I could see the spring snap (for lack of better word) a little bit, when i did this. and it did turn out to be a broken center pin

4. MTBLAZER89

I have watched the front end while somebody cycles the steering. Can't see anything moving /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. MTBLAZER89

bushings don't look too bad, is there a torque value for the shackle bolts?