Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Synchronizer (Manual Tranny)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87K54WD, Feb 28, 2002.

1. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if the '87 K5's synchronizers in the manual tranny were made out of brass. I am concerned because I've being using a GL-5 rating gear lube (Valvoline Synthetic Blend) and just heard that GL-5 is corrosive to brass and thus brass synchronizers.

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I have heard something like that before. I don't know if it would apply to a synthetic lube though. Maybe you should check with Valvoline.

It is probably just a myth though. I have never seen this mentioned on the bottle. Imagine all the lawsuits if this was true and they didn't advertise it...

Over 600 posts and still a "pavment pounder"...

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not positive, but I'd say yes. I don't think GM's been using trannies with composite synchros for more than 10 years, and as old as the 465 design is, probably were ALWAYS brass.

Is that coming from valvoline that GL-5 is corrosive to brass? Seems odd thats for sure.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

This was something I read yesterday off the web from some guy's site. I was doing a search on something and came upon this site. Just starting reading for the heck of it and then saw the bold warning. Here is the website: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/fluids.html It will be on the second topic. I was just really concerned when I saw this. Could it be true? I'm not real sure what vehicle this guy keeps refering to, but brass is brass.

5. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

Turns out the guy is refering to: Eagle Talons, Mitsubishi Eclipses, and Plymouth Lasers. The guy states that Slick 50 is a good product (I've read and heard nothing but terrible things about that product), so maybe his comment is not valid about the GL-5. Still makes me wonder. But I agree, I would think there would have to be a disclaimer on something like being corrosive to brass. There is no such comment on the bottle from Valvoline and it actually encourages its use in manual trannies.

6. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

Here is what the Valvoline website states:
    Valvoline's DuraBlend Gear Oil is formulated with a unique blend of premium synthetic and conventional base oils and is a superior extreme pressure lubricant.

Superior anti-wear, anti-scuffing and corrosion protection
    Provides superior performance at low temperatures
    Helps improve fuel efficiency
    Resists breakdown at high temperatures
    Recommended for (conventional and limited slip) manual transmissions where an API GL-5 or MT-1 fluid is specified

So, I guess the real question is: Is GL-5 specified anywhere in the owner's manual? I'll have to check mine later and see. I guess that is Valvoline's disclaimer in a way. I just hope this guy is wrong about GL-5 being corrosive to brass ... especially if you guys are pretty certain that our K5s have brass synchronizers in the manual tranny.

7. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Taking this to the top. This is one of the best questions I have seen in months

8. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I my be able to help. I manage a Valvoline Instant Oil Change in Kansas City. GL-5 isn't corrisive to brass. Doesn't matter if it's conventional, semi-synthetic, or full-synthetic. I've used the same products for the last 5 years and haven't had any problems. I go through about 15 gallons of GL-5 per week on transmission services. If this were a possibility, I'm sure I would have plenty of service failures to fix. Send my any Valvoline questions and I can get the answers.

9. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I my be able to help. I manage a Valvoline Instant Oil Change in Kansas City. GL-5 isn't corrisive to brass. Doesn't matter if it's conventional, semi-synthetic, or full-synthetic. I've used the same products for the last 5 years and haven't had any problems. I go through about 15 gallons of GL-5 per week on transmission services. If this were a possibility, I'm sure I would have plenty of service failures to fix. Send me any Valvoline questions and I can get the answers.

10. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I my be able to help. I manage a Valvoline Instant Oil Change in Kansas City. GL-5 isn't corrisive to brass. Doesn't matter if it's conventional, semi-synthetic, or full-synthetic. I've used the same products for the last 5 years and haven't had any problems. I go through about 15 gallons of GL-5 per week on transmission services. That's just my store, we have 15 total in this market. If this were a possibility, I'm sure we would have plenty of service failures to fix. Send me any Valvoline questions and I can get the answers.

11. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input. Your response makes me feel a lot better. I e-mailed Valvoline from their website as well to see what their response was about this. Haven't heard back yet, but I will post their response when I get it.

12. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Makes sense to me. I couldn't see how they could get away with not putting that on the container.

13. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

Well, I got a response back from Valvoline but the question was real blunt: What year, make, and model are we dealing with? My original question to them was basically: Is GL-5 corrosive to brass components found in manual trannies. I gave them my truck info, so I can only assume they are going to look it up some how and tell me that GL-5 is not specified for my tranny or something like that. I guess that would allow them to put the blame on me (consumer). This really has me wondering now especially since they didn't answer the basic question. I'll let you know their response for those that are interested.

14. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Let me know who you talk to. Like I said, I'm part of the Valvoline market in KC. But we are a franchise, so we can have our own opinion. Anyway I think the facts speak for thenselves. A vast majority of manual transmissions have brass syncros. We do tons of services every week, with no problems. I have a sm465 with Valvoline fluid, no problems.

87 V1500 305 TBI 208/465 4" 35"procomp mt Dana 44/12 bolt

15. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

Got a response back from Valvoline today. Here it is word for word: "According to my information, 1987 full size K-5 Blazer, manual transmission can use a GL-5 rated fluid. In an application that requires a GL-4 fluid, we do not recommend using a GL-5 fluid. For more information, please contact
    our technical hotline at 1-800-354-8957, thank you very much." This is what I thought they would do. Still didn't answer the question if GL-5 is corrosive to brass. I'm going to assume at this point that it's not worth worrying about and just leave it in the truck based on the info I've gotten here and directly from Valvoline. Well, I guess both sources are from Valvoline really. Thanks for your input / insight!

16. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

That really sucks they won't give you a straight answer.

Screw Valvoline. I don't like their crappy oil anyways...:(