Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Synthectic fluid

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Dec 23, 2001.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Well, doubler is built, and all I need to do today is finish rebuilding 205 and bolt in on to rest of driveline. What is everyone's opinion on synthectic fluids for trans and tranfers. I will probably run regular for 500 miles, then do a change, is synthectic worth the cost? Will post some pictures of new additions to rig soon. Next is e-brake for 205 and 1350 CV for rear.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Just my $.02. In the t cases and trans and axles it might be worth it since they don't get serviced as often as the engine.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

also for severe cold winter duty the thinner synthetics will be easier on the starter and may be liquid enough to lubricate, unlike 80w90 that freezes solid

4. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

synthetics of the same weight flow better than conventional oils because the molecules are rounder and more uniformly shaped.large trucking co.fleets all run synthetics in trannys and rearends because parts for semis arent cheap.tranny and t.c fluid and gear lube isnt changed that often,so the cost difference isnt that bag of a deal to me.its worth the piece of mind.later...rob

eatin'fords and shittin'dodges down in the sunshine state.

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

you must have seen better fleet companies then I have.
    havent come across one that uses synthetics yet

6. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

I work for a trucking company in the northeast, our trucks built after '99 all have synthetics in the drivelines, regular oil gets changed every 100,000 miles, the synthetics get changed every 250,000.

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
    5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears
    See My Toys: http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454