Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Synthetic blend oil

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by MudFrog, Dec 28, 2004.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Just bought a new to me 99 Venture. It has the 3.4L and it needs an oil change. I think they have been using regular 10w30 in it and I want to try to get as much mileage out of the engine as possible. Would it be benneficial to go with a synthetic blend or even synthetic oil? The engine has 74k miles on it.

2. aj johnson

aj johnson 1/2 ton status

synthetic blends or full synthetic oils are GOOD for your motor... much less wear and tear, as well an FAR greater temperature stability.. Personally, I use Amsoil and I only change my filter three times a year and get my oil analyzed at each filter change.. the oil analysis tells me what is going on inside my motor...
    go with Synthetic if you can... go talk to an Amsoil dealer...

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info.

Any certain reason you only change the filter 3 times a year? I usually change mine with every oil change.

4. aj johnson

aj johnson 1/2 ton status

cause you don't need to..... the filter cleans the oil, the only reason that the oil itself needs changed is if it breaks down. Synthetic oil doesn't break down the way that natural oil does. some people I know that are amsoil fans don't change their oil at all... just the filter, and they get their oil analyzed periodically to see if it is breaking down, and to see what your engine is putting in it.