Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Synthetic motor oil

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, May 30, 2006.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've never used synthetic oil, but I've been thinking of switching to it. Any recomendations ???

2. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

better make sure you don't have any leaks, cause it will find it.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I'm trying to get everything switched over to synthetic and the only thing left is the tranny.

Engine, tcase, differentials, and power steering all synthetic. Actually my brake fluid says synthetic on the bottle, but from what I understand all brake fluid is basically synthetic.

I've just been using Valvoline's full synthetic engine oil. Intially I was using Valvoline's Durablend because I thought it was full synthetic, but it's not.

4. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Ya, I'm just now starting to do the switch on my 90 Blazer to synthetics. I just switched the oil to Royal Purple 5w-30 oil, and replaced the rear Diff with Royal Purple gear oil, Next is the transfer case, power steering pump, and then the transmission. A slow process and a costly process.

Dan..

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to the wonderfull world of synthetics...sort of. It's great stuff if you have a tight motor that doesn't burn or leak oil, other wise it costs too much and is a waste to run synthetic. IN my Dodge Diesel I love my Amsoil synthetic, 25K or one year oil changes, and it barely burns a quart in a years time.

My K5 is a different story, I burnt up the gaskets getting the motor hot too many times and it leaks some oil. I run Valvoline dyno juice in it since it would be a waste to leave expensive oil in puddles under the truck.:rolleyes:

Sludge is another thing, if the motor has a decent accumulation of sludge, this will restrict additives from fresh oil from getting to the gaskets that keeps them soft and alive. Sludge strangles the gaskets of needed additives and they want to harden up. A good synthetic will clean out all of the sludge, potentially clog and oil galley, and now fresh oil hits the hardened gaskets that are too far ruined to soften back up and hold the oil inside the engine.