Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Synthetic Oil Vs. Engine Heater

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TallCowGirl, Jan 28, 2003.

1. TallCowGirl

TallCowGirl Registered Member

Hi Guys...Well, I got my Blazer to start this morning. The carb was full of gas, so I took it off, cleaned it out, and re-installed it. I have a 350 and 10w30 oil. When it's really cold, the motor will turn over really slowly because of the thick oil and the carb will flood. I've been told that synthetic oil won't thicken as much as the standard stuff. Is this true or is my best bet just to get an engine oil heater? I'm also considering getting a little battery heating pad too.

Thanks,
    Diana

P.S. I moved up here to Illinois from New Mexico because got a job here...mabye I'll get to work back home one day..

2. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

how cold does it get there?
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

It's true about the Synthetic Oil and cold weather
    The Features of Synthetic Oil is
    No paraffin or wax....
    And thats a start And it will help to use a Block Heater as well and a Battery heating pad is not a bad idea either. Don't forget Synthetic Oil can be used Year round it's just as good in the summer heat as well /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

4. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

I have an '84 350 with I think 10-30 Penzoil in it. I'm using a red top Optima (830 CCA.)
    When it's really cold, say 0 with no wind, it turns over slow, but enought to sart the beast.
    Check all your battery cable connections. Just clean then a bit with a file, you'd be surprised.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The first # in an oil rating is its viscosity when real cold (the W stands for winter from what I have read). A 10w30 will act like a plain 10 weight oil when it is cold (around 0*F).

Even going to a 5w30 would help out.
    Synthetic oils are like 0w30 and will keep from getting thicker in cold weather.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You got part of it right triaged.
    The first part is viscosity, W is for winter because this started for winter use as well as summer (multigrade) the second is heat range, so a 10w30 is as thick as a 10 but can take the heat of a 30.
    Synthetics are also in the same ranges, not only 0w30.
    Although you can only get a 0w30 in synthetic.
    I personnaly use 10w40 synthetic from Castrol, it will take more heat from my abusive driving.
    Synthetic has more advantages too:
    It will not oxidize so you don't have to change it every 3 months if you didn't drive it much.
    If I have a good engine that doesn't consume oil I always go with synthetic, if it's a worn engine I go with the thicked organic oils.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Most of the slow down is the battery. the colder it gets the less power the battery is capable of producing. A big help if your dealing with sub freezing temps would be a battery warmer pad. At night just plug it in and it will keep the battery about 60degrees and ready to go. Block heater is nice also but it's not going to keep the oil that much warmer but it will have the coolant warmed so instant heat and since the coolant and block are warm it will get the oil warmed up a little faster as well. I have also seen a heater pad you can stick on the oil pan to warm the oil.
    As for your carb. BEST mod I made to my 75 was losing the divorced choke. I found a newer quarajet with the hot air style choke and converted it to electric. Made a world of difference in cold weather.
    Now I do run synthetic in my wifes Blazer. I do it because no mater how much I preach to let it idle for 2-3 minutes before dropping it in gear she just can't seem to do it. Fires it off and 30 seconds later she's rolling. The better cold weather performance means it's a little easier on the engine when she pulls that. (the fact that I have left her choke out of adjustment so it's doesn't run quite right if she tries to drive it before it's ran a couple minutes has also helped but not completly eliminated the problem /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Ewwwww Illinois.....I move here to get away from the cold LOL.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Synthetic oil will help 100% of the time. Block heaters, battery heaters, etc. will only work when you are parked somewhere that you can plug them in. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif How old is the starter in your truck? I replaced the starter in one of my trucks because it started to act up and not engage in cold weather. But I was amazed at how much faster the new one would spin the motor over! The old one had weakened so slowly that I hadn't noticed it.

9. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

I would have to say Alaskans are fairly knowledgeable about this issue! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I use a block heater for temps below 0 and if it's at zero or above then just the oil pan heater. IT HELPS, just get the lower 100 watt unit that sticks to the pan, because they have a higher one, that if left on all night will cook your oil. I leave the 100 watt pan heater on all night and it keeps things warm, also when you go to start it in the cold weather it's nice to crank it over a little tell the oil pressure starts to come up by the guage, (if you have a manual guage) Then pump it a few times to get it to start. The warm oil helps the pressure issues ALOT. You can run a little thicker oil and not have to worry if it's always warm, plus not as much of a chance to get leaks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I would sug

10. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

I would have to say Alaskans are fairly knowledgeable about this issue! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I use a block heater for temps below 0 and if it's at zero or above then just the oil pan heater. IT HELPS, just get the lower 100 watt unit that sticks to the pan, because they have a higher one, that if left on all night will cook your oil. I leave the 100 watt pan heater on all night and it keeps things warm, also when you go to start it in the cold weather it's nice to crank it over a little tell the oil pressure starts to come up by the guage, (if you have a manual guage) Then pump it a few times to get it to start. The warm oil helps the pressure issues ALOT. You can run a little thicker oil and not have to worry if it's always warm, plus not as much of a chance to get leaks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I would suggest it to anyone with 20 degree weather or lower! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

good thing i live in louisiana i use straight 40 weight castrol