Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

synthetics is it really worth it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Marshall, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

I just purchased AMS-oil pure sythetic with the 25,000 mile change intervals, and was wondering if anyone else out there used this stuff too. Is sythetics that much better for your engine than regular petroluem oils? let me know
    Thanks, Marshall

2. Biguub91

Biguub91 Registered Member

i am not a chemist but I do know that alot of people believe they are better and I feel they are better. One story i have is that back in the late 70's when chevy wanted to give the corvette a little more horsepower they gave it platinum spark plugs and synthetic oil and it gained about twenty horses. This is from a book called Standard Guide to American Muscle Cars which I own. Also if you think about it the synthetic oil is being specifically engineered for use in engines so alot of thought goes into it. hope this helps

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

synthetics? how many miles does your engine have on it? usually you dont change to synthetic way down the road..only after break in otherwise you risk breaking up sludge and etc in the motor...a good engine flush at a reputable garage would be a good way to remove most of the sludge before swapping to synthetic, and yes they are better...they're scientifically formulated to last longer and lubricate better than dead dino-oil

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

If you can get the oil to last that long before it gets dirty then all the power to you. My truck's owner's manual says you need not change it more than every 7,500 miles if you replace the oil filter every time. That's from 1984. In theory, if you live in a clean environment, don't have a lot of cold starts, had a good running motor, and a decent filter (like Wix) you could get it to go that long. However, the oil gets dirty fast here.

Add to that the fact that carbureted motors put a lot of gas in the oil and do a mighty fine job of washing the cylinder walls when first starting then it is hard to believe it'd last that long. I get between 1500 and 2500 miles between oil changes because the oil is visibly dirty. It isn't black from getting cooked, it is just brown. You can see the crud suspended in it but yet no sparklies.

There isn't a reason I can see why a good dinosaur oil couldn't last 5,000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. I suspect a synthetic could be persuaded to last 10,000 miles before it is all chopped up and not lubricating that well.

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

For engine oil - I think so. I think the vetts come with it topped off with synthetics right out of the gate.

For gear oils (Front and Rear) - I know G.M. seems to think Synthetics are worth the extra $$$. Every current RWD/4WD I know of comes with it stock. Ford does as-well, not sure about Dodge. If the manufactures think it's worth the money, then it probavbly is.
    They don't spend money if it's not needed.

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

7. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The warranty on my Vette specifies Mobil 1 5w30 w/Mobil 1 filter...diff and tranny are also Synthetic...

Used Mobil 1 and filter on my daughters 2000 Mazda 626 since she got it with 150 miles on it...change the oil and filter at 5k, and it looks so good I keep it to use in my riding mower...

I've used it in a new 944, a new Tbird SC, new Protege, Accord, Toy pickup...all with same results...I won't use anything else... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Read that motor oil bible. Mobil 1 is trash compared to some of the other synthetics. Not worth $4 a quart in my opinion...and I sell auto parts for a living.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    and I sell auto parts for a living.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do ya have to ask if it's 4wd when the customer is asking for a transfer case seal? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    and I sell auto parts for a living.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do ya have to ask if it's 4wd when the customer is asking for a transfer case seal? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

I have and do run Mobil 1 synthetics in all of my keeper vehicles, and love the results. I once had a Chevy Beretta that I pulled down the motor at just under 100k during a clutch replacement, and was amazed to find hardly any visable wear. I ran Mobil 1 in that motor from about 300 miles on the car until I sold it. Usually the only times I see reports trashing Mobil 1 synthetics, is from brochures of other synthetic oil companies. My opinion.

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

IIRC, to do this [ QUOTE ]
    AMS-oil pure sythetic with the 25,000 mile change intervals

[/ QUOTE ] you need to drain the oil, change the filter, and put the old oil back in. I seem to remember a 5000 mi interval. Working from memory here, so look it up.

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I just purchased AMS-oil pure sythetic with the 25,000 mile change intervals, and was wondering if anyone else out there used this stuff too. Is sythetics that much better for your engine than regular petroluem oils? let me know
    Thanks, Marshall

[/ QUOTE ]

There is some fine print to those change intervals. Some of it includes low milage motors. The rest includs that you use their two stage oil filter set up with THEIR filters. You usualy have to change the filters a couple times during that interval. Still not sure I would run it 25k. 10K maybe.
    I run mobile 1 in my supra for a while. It did run noticable better. I was changing at 5k. running it in the 454 in the burb now and I plan on 5 k intervals as well.

Will be servicing the rear diff soon and it will have Valvoline synthetic as well.
    Need to service the Tranny and I haven't decided if I want to put synthetic in a tranny with 74k on it. No way to really get a full load in since it has no converter drain.

My trail truck uses to much oil to justify expensive oil. With the dunkings I give it It change diff regularly so not worth the extra expense.