Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Syriana

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Pretty good movie IMHO. I'd recommend renting it.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

early predictions: oil is the root of all evil and the CIA is a sinister/corrupt POS.

do I still need to see it? lol.

j

3. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

That's pretty much it right there. Save the two hours of your life.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually I thought it was a pretty good movie.

I think the "poor reviews" you hear are because people expected action, not something they have to actually think about. No offense, I like action too, I just knew going in that wasn't what it was all about.

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

You left out the fact the the evil imperialistic US govt. is responsible for everything bad that has happened in the world for the last 1,000 years (I know, we're THAT evil!)

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Hrm let's see... the only thing the CIA or government has to play in this is ****ing their own operative. U.S. corporations, on the other hand play more into the plot.

If you actually watch the damn movie, you get shown some other perspectives. For instance, the cleric. Don't forget the Emir and his son, who were working to better their country but was twarted by the prince's power-hungry brother.

Try turning your brain on next time. Yes it still has a spin to it, but it's still a decent movie.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

capitalism... baaaaaaad!!! To paraphrase Churchill, 'Capitalism is the worst system there is... except for everything else'.

I'll probably see the film at some point... its just way down the list of things to do is all.

j

8. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Yeah I saw that part too, but took the movie as a whole as somewhat of a sublimnal message saying that they are not all crazy bastards that want to kill us. That and putting the blame for this mess we're in on the U.S. govt. and corporations. All a bunch of b.s. anyway. I would have enjoyed two hours watching "The O.C." more. At least then I could have watched some hot chicks while listening to drivel.

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Heaven forbid the political blinders should ever have to be removed from the obtuse.

Ooop, double jeopardy. :D

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Whoah!! settle down there, I didn't know that you had a personal hand in producing the friggin thing. I was being a smart ass, in case you hadn't noticed I do that quite frequently. I am fully aware of the plotline of this movie and I was being hyperbolic when I made that statement. I still don't have any desire to see it though, more because I can't stand Clooney than anything about the movie itself.:wink1:

And my brain is fully operational, I just don't choose to get my worldview from fictional movies, whether I agree with them or not.:rolleyes:

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Et Tu Jiminy?????:p:

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I just get tired of the absolute nonsense that gets attached to every remotely perceived political subject. The thread was about a simple movie and ended up as political soap box.

Wasn't singling you out, after all your my favorite gal Dave. :D

See you tonight - kisses.

13. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I didn't mean to push Jagged's buttons either. I was more or less just stirring up sh*t, not trying to piss on his parade. It's been too quiet around here lately and I get bored easily.:dunno:

And don't forget to bring me some flowers sweetie:haha:

14. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha: Yeah I know, you little **** stirrer. I'll just bring you an engraved spoon.

15. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

stir stir... who killed it? :(

16. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I don't know that I could get over my extreme dislike for Clooney during the movie and would probably be distracted. I strongly support any actors right to voice their political opinion. However, I have an equal right not to line their pockets as a result. But, every so often I can set my predispositions aside if the movie is really top notch, or the subject matter very interesting.

17. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Perhaps the most interesting thing in the movie... was the immigrant workers. Being out here at site 6, and having been other places I've wondered if the TCN's were locals or indeed "third country nationals."