Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

System Decisions

Discussion in 'Audio' started by spac30dyss3y, Aug 6, 2003.

1. spac30dyss3y

spac30dyss3y Registered Member

I'm trying to decide what i should get as far as Sound Quality goes... (I'd prefer that over SPL).

For right now, i want to upgrade the stock speakers and get a new HU. How can I best spend about $500-600?

I was thinking Infinity Reference 6000cs 6.5" Components at about $112.00, or is there something that sounds better for the same cost or less. I was going to put them in Q-Forms... And run them off the HU.

For the HU.. I was thinking about the Pioneer DEH-P5500MP. For around $185.00 Shipped... Should i splurge and upgrade? or maybe downgrade?

I've already got a set of pioneers for fills in the back...

Anything else I should go for? I don't really need a sub for now, and when that time comes around when i want or need one, any suggestions? I was thinking about a JL 12...
    I don't want alot of boomy bass, as i said, i'm going for sq over sheer loudness...

Thanks for your suggestions and help...

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Spac3,

A deck and two speakers for $600...? Yep, I'd say you can get some good quality stuff!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Have you looked at the Eclipse decks? They have a model now with an 8V output (preamp) and a built-in amplifier. You could drive the speakers off the internal amp for the time being, and when you go to Phase II (Subwoofers and outboard amps) you've got a phenomenally clean 8V preamp output stage to work with....! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just a thought....

3. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

dude, u could make really nice four-speaker, or even a decent six-speaker setup wit $600 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. spac30dyss3y

So, then... Yeah, i was thinking that I should look elsewhere...

Any suggestions on a "good 4-speaker system for $600"... Of course I do need a head unit. Any suggestions?

I liked the idea of the Eclipse head unit, but what's the point of having an awesome hu with less than stellar speakers.... Any idea on the price i would pay for one of them(ie Eclipse 8443)?

Are there any other decently priced hu's with more than a 1-bit DAC?

If you have time, and don't mind, i'd really like some suggestions on configurations for my blazer... And where to put the speakers!!! I like the kickpanel idea, but won't they get in the way of my e-brake? I'm not sure i want to put speakers in the doors...

I'm such a retard when it comes to this stuff, and I'm thinking that price doesn't always equate to quality, though i'm sure most of the time it does...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and bare with me on this... Thanks!!

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

I liked the idea of the Eclipse head unit, but what's the point of having an awesome hu with less than stellar speakers.... Any idea on the price i would pay for one of them(ie Eclipse 8443)?

[/ QUOTE ] I'd get the head unit and upgrade the speakers later. Not meny of us can afford to buy everything all at once. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I've got a $600.00 (when new) head unit sitting in the closet waiting till I'm ready too start on the stereo system.

6. spac30dyss3y

As for subwoofers, which type of box give the best sq? I don't want it real boomy. i want clarity, if that makes sense...

And i was thinking about getting an aluminum sub? Or is there a different material i should look at for sq?

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Spac3,

The Eclipse CD8443 is probably around $420....I didn't shop around too hard, so it might be cheaper.

That still leaves you with $180 for speakers.....Maybe one GOOD component set up front? The only frustrating thing about buying equipment this way, is that you are buying REALLY good stuff, but it's not going to really SHINE until you spend the rest of the money and get the outboard amps, subs, etc.

If that's where you KNOW you're going, then it's a good move to spend up front for good quality stuff ESPECIALLY the head unit. If you want your total budget to be $600, you should really go a different route and try for a less expensive deck, a nice set of front speakers, maybe a good-quality used amp and a subwoofer. You'll need to squeeze those $$$ to get it all for less than 600, but you can get a pretty nice sounding system that way too.

As for subs....there's a long answer and a short answer. The short one is to use a sealed box for your subs and be FANATICAL about building it to the recommended volume the manufacturer suggests.

The long answer.......is much longer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif