Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

System I put in my friends truck.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Feb 28, 2002.

Well I put a system in my best friends Dodge yesterday and finally after more money and time spent, it finally RIPS! I had a fair bit of streo knowledge before yesterday but now I finally have most of it all down. Before yesterday he had a Sony XPLOD face, Polk Audio 6x9's in front, and Polk Audio 5 1/4" in the rear. Yesterday we went and bought a Audio Tek Stealth 550.2 amp, two Kicker Comp 4 ohm 10" subs, and two 8.8 cuft sealed truck boxes. Then the fun began. We went back to my house and since he does not know anything about car audio I wired the whole thing. Well it sounded really good but after 20 mins of driving, the subs went dead. So I crawled back there and the amp was still on. I pulled the deck to check the RCA cables for a good connection, and to my awe they along with the whole back of the deck was burning hot. After every 10 mins of contiunes playing the subs would shut off. I checked everything and nothing was grounding or anything. After a little reasearch I think it was the thermal overload pertection that was turning them off because the other speakers were still going. So we went back to the place were we bought the stuff today, and they asked what kinda deck he had and after saying Sony there was a small chuckle from all the guys there and said "there's your problem" Sony decks dont do well at all when there is a system with the much power, let alone more. They told us to take the deck back from where you got it and exchange it for a Panasonic. We exchanged it for the deck I have in my truck, which is a CQ-DF401 U. After installing the deck tonight and putting 12g wire between the amp and the subs, I can honestly say it rips. I have heard a lot of systems and this one really rips. I am not going to get anything but kicker from now on when it comes to subs. I will also say stay away from all Sony car audio stuff because this is not the first time that there stuff has not worked right. Sorry it's so long just wanted to tell you what works good and what doesn't. Go for kicker, you wont be sorry you got them.

TRUCK: 1980 Chevy K20, 14bFF, 10b F, 350, TH400, NP205, 4" Lift, ORD 1" Body Lift, 35 BFG M/T's. Heddmen Hedders, Autometer Tach.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey Jeremy!

8.8 Cubic Feet per box.....? Man that's BIG!!!!! [​IMG]

Seriously though, glad you got it all sorted out. It's a good feeling when it sounds great and you know that you did it all yourself!

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

2. opps sorry ment to say .88 cuft boxes :) lol Yea its a good feeling to be able to hook it all up yourself even though it's not in your truck :) I will have subs soon though, possiably today. Cant wait

TRUCK: 1980 Chevy K20, 14bFF, 10b F, 350, TH400, NP205, 4" Lift, ORD 1" Body Lift, 35 BFG M/T's. Heddmen Hedders, Autometer Tach.

3. How's It going Greg? Long time no see, well only met you once at Hollister, but we should go again. I am so excited because today I went and got my audio stuff. I got a Auto Tek 500.2 SS amp, 2 10" Kicker Comp VR's, .88 Cuft MDF boxes etc. I got the amp and wires from them today but I dont get the subs or boxes till tomarrow round noon, because they gotta bring them in. I got the amp all wired up tonight, I have to give myself credit, I did a really clean job :) I chose to get the VR's over the Comp's because they can handle more power and are said to hit harder. I cant wait till tomarrow. I will let you all know how it goes. Also Greg we should get another Hollister trip together. Let me know if you are interested. Later

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Conf,

Yeah Hollister....! It would be nice to go when I didn't have to sleep in the back of my truck in a 1/4" of standing water!!!! [​IMG].....

Man, my roof was leaking so bad during that rain I couldn't stand it....all I heard all night was drip...drip...drip... By morning I was cold, wet, and tired and NOT in the mood to get stuck in some mudhole.....

I've been doing a few mods to the K5....New front springs went in last night.....but now I need to lengthen my front driveshaft and add longer brake lines. After that, I should be ready to take on Hollister again!

Later dude, say "Hi" to the other guys for me.

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>