Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t-400 experts...is she goin down in flames..can we save her!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by supersize75, Oct 7, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I have a t-400, shifts hard as hell, and it does have a shift kit...but damn! My neck is feeling it these past few days /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The rear question....

My fluid is comming up through the dip stick /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Either a...to full, but not likly

or b....the valve body is going out

or c- torque converter is going

I don't want to replace the torque converter just to find out that the tranny was going..thus would ruin my the toque converter /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

So what do you guys think..how can I check this? Aslo will a t-350 dip stick and tube work for a t-400, I currently have the wrong one or something /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks!....have a rebulilt lined up so if it goes...

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The "ATSG" tranny manuals have a list of problems and their causes if you can get you hands on one. I believe it stands for "Automatic Transmission Service Group".

However, a factory manual probably covers the exact same stuff, but I've never looked.

3. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

How about a plugged vent line? Tranny building up heat, expanding the fluid and blowing it out the easiest way it can? Through the fill tube. Could be worse, it could blow out the pump seal.....

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

my t-400 did the same, also seen t-350's do it to. mud clogs up the vent & there is no where for the heat to go. so it blows the fliud out the dip stick.

t-350 dip stick will work in the t-400. i have done that, just be sure the dip stick & the tube are a matched set.( some tubes are longer than others.

5. supersize75

Thanks, I will get a new dip stick tommarow, also I cant even find the vent /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I have looked but I don't see it...going crazy over this /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. boz42

it is on top of the tranny where the bellhousing meets the main body of the case. it is almost in the center from side to side but a little to the right.

u will probably have to drop the tranny to get to it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. supersize75

I have a body lift, also cant I just romove the tranny access plate on the floor? I have bedliner so no carpet to deal with /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. boz42

yeh that was a bone head coment on my part, pulling the floor pan would be much easier.

good luck, i hope it works as well for u as it did for me.