Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-400 experts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by titanic, Oct 30, 2002.

1. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I'm rebuilding a T-400 and I have a heavy duty-(34 element) sprag that I would like to use. The only problem is that I need a steel drum that came originally on factory GM T-400's from 1965-1969.I need to know where to find one and/or what vehicles that tranny came in. Thanks in advance! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Steve

2. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I got mine from the transmission warehouse where I bought all my rebuild parts. Cost something like $50.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Brett,This transmission warehouse where you found the drum I'm searching-did they have a part number? Do you have their phone number? Is it available at other name brand transmission shops? Sorry for all questions. Steve

4. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Steve
    Give summit or jegs a call, they stock a lot of parts that aren't in the catalogs and can probably ship one next day - they carry the major tranny guys parts and all have the drum. If you don't want to buy new good luck trying to find a T400 from those years,I haven't seen one in a junkyard in quite a while. In chevys they were mostly found behind big blocks, buicks pontiacs and olds used them a lot more. Then of course there's the one I have, but it works and is not for sale. Also I think you can use the drum from all the early trannys thru 71. BTW small world, I have lived in huntsville most of my life.
    Louis

5. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I have the part # at home, won't be there until tomorrow. I believe the drum I bought was used. They stocked a lot of parts. Idaho Transmission Warehouse, 2175 Centurian, Boise, ID, 83709, 208-378-8183, 800-331-1632, FAX 208-323-1264.
    They are very helpful people, I spent over an hour in there when I was rebuilding my 205 trying to figure out why my output shaft was different than any other. They called several people before someone at another location had the answer. This is not to say that they don't know what they are talking about when it comes to transmissions, they gave me a lot of great info. I have rebuilt a TH350 and TH400 and bought all my parts from them. If you can't find the part closer to you, I highly recommend them.
    BTW, I love my TH400. Crisp shifts w/o being harsh and great part throttle downshifts. Now I just need a doubler for the compression braking.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What was different about your 205 output shaft? Slip vs. fixed? or was it a difference in the output housings (which there are several)? Sorry to hijack the thread just curious.

Staying on topic. If you can find a part number, give Jegs or Summit a call (as stated earlier). I have done this for misc parts (not listed in catalogs) and they have done really well on prices.

7. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

The front output was different. It was 30 spline but, the design was different. It used a bushing instead of bearings inside of the gear. Different gear, same shaft.
    BTW, absolutely could not find the part, not even dealer, they didn't even have the info on it.
    FYI, the 205 came out of an 82 dually w/ 6.2/465.

8. transcore1

transcore1 Registered Member

The element sprag drum is hard to find. I have only seen the regular sprag fail in drag racing applications. Try a transmisssion parts company in your area. We carry them but we are out of stock and don't know when I will receive more. TRANSCORE