Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T.B.I. Motor Rebuild questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5blazermud, Dec 14, 2002.

1. k5blazermud

k5blazermud Newbie

I am just wandering if any of you guys have any suggestions on me rebuilding my t.b.i. motor inexpensivly. I am 16 and have a limited budget. I am thinking about a speed pro .030 over rebuild kit with either a speed pro cam, or any other cam that you guys suggest for a good torque increase and horsepower. Also I saw on off-road.com that lt1 heads would bump up the horsepower a bit. Could these heads be used with out a dramatic increase in compression. Thanks for all of the help and sorry for the long post.

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Fill out your profile! If your going to put the effort into rebuilding your block please dont put a stock cam and heads back on. They are junk. Vortec Heads are cheap and if you are lucky your block is already machined for a roller cam. So find a roller cam set off a vortec engine and drill and tap the holes for the lifter hold-down and viola you have a vortec engine. Of course you will need a new intake and most likely a chip. This Place I believe has the best price on the Vortec TBI intake you will need. Good luck and I hope that made sense.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I like those speed pros. I am using the coated Speed Pro Flat tops on my 454 bbc. These pistons can be had on e-bay for pretty damn cheap. If I were you (and on a reasonable budget) I would go with the speed pro flat top or slightly domed pistons, Vortec heads, anda 4x4-type grind cam...most cam mfgs have a specific 4x4 grind. Don't get to wild with the cams duration and lobe separation or you computer will tweak out and you will need a custom PROM. Jusgt sit down and work out a worst-case scenario budget. you may ave to pass on new heads. but then again, if you heads are shot and reconditoning would be madatory, new heads may find themselves into the budget...

4. k5blazermud

k5blazermud Newbie

The motor is out of my dads 89 burbon, and it has no heads on it, so I might as well go with vortecs. I could probobly get them pretty cheap, if not free because my dad works on Yahts and some of the smaller ones use twin 350 mercruisers with vortec heads /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. As for the flat tops, wouldn't that give me a pretty high compression ratio with the vortec heads? Thanks for the help.

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

You are right, the compression may be 9.5 or more with FT's and Vortecs...the just get dished...

Chris

6. k5blazermud

k5blazermud Newbie

About how much horsepower and torque could I expect from a setup like this; it would have a comp cams 4x4 cam in it.