Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t.b.t to carb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by raelayotte, Aug 21, 2004.

1. raelayotte

raelayotte Registered Member

what do i have to do to change tbi to carb on a 87 chevy blazer 350 wiring is shot
    raelayotte@yahoo.com

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

buddy of mine dose this to all his trucks, for beter mileage and being able to work on it himself, he told be 1200(canadian) to but the parts for my burb.

need carb, intake, destribater, and ignition ect.

3. raelayotte

raelayotte Registered Member

were can i get the stuff i need and what stuff do i need

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

welcome to ck5

id search junkyards in your area for a setup off a truck that hasnt been parted with. if it were me i would look for a 73-76 intake, carb, and dist that are still together. do the same with the wiring, im not sure how much you plan to replace, but you could just run power to the dist and be on your way. not sure about your sensors that you have on your rig.

or you can buy aftermarket pieces.

id try using the search, im sure there are previous posts about this. there seems to be a people swapping from a carb to tbi and people going from tbi back to carbs.

5. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Well, speaking as an official “old fart” who grew up wrenching on land yachts that had points and carbs, I say, stay with the TBI and ECM. You will be hard pressed to extract the efficiency and power out of a non-managed engine that you get now. If you take your Blazer out and abuse it like the rest of us here, you’ll soon find out that carbs detest the strange angles that your Blazer will find itself in while a TBI motor will just keep on chugging away. I won’t even mention the hassle of registering your vehicle after removing emissions equipment. Along those lines if your state doesn’t require emission testing, it will in the very near future.

A small block TBI motor can make a LOT of torque down low where you need it. As a matter of fact, if you have the $$ to pony up, GM Parts direct had a 383 that makes over 400 ft-lbs of torque; and you CAN make it work with a TBI.

Start out by learning how to burn your own chips. It’s not that hard (just a bit tedious) and you can gain a lot of power where you need it. Then add a quality set of headers and a good dual exhaust. And top it off with a 670-CFM Holley TBI (this where I’ve done to my beastie). I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the power increase with a bit of chip tuning.

If your main problem is the wiring, check out painless wiring. I do believe they can set you up with a new harness without costing you an arm and a leg.