Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t bar ? 95 chevy 3500

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by primerk5, Dec 3, 2005.

1. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

Ok, I ran in to a problem last night. I just got a set of 16x10 rims for my truck to replace the factory set on my 285 something tires(almost a 33") It was tearing up my centers in my tires. Well you probably know what i'm going to say next. Now the tires rub front and back. So I engaged brain into reverse and jacked the torsion bars all the way up. Now I think that there is absoluty no suspension movement up front.
    Is it possible that I took it up so far the suspension is at full drop. (my adjuster bolt wouldn't go in all the way.) If so wouldn't this mean that I could back it off a little and I would get some of my ride back without sacraficing wheel clearence? Its only rubbing on the back of my fender at the flare now. Any input would be great before I completly destroy my ball joints. Unfortunaly I hadn't planed on lifting this for a while as it is my tow rig. Looks like I may have to locate a cheap 4 in suspension. I can't body lift it cause I have a goose neck hitch in the back.

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Having you tbars cranked that far will destroy your CV's and other stuff in teh front end. I think you can only go .5-1" over stock before you start destroying stuff.

3. gauder

gauder Banned

I run 285's on the stock rims on 2 different trucks and know countless others that do also without any problems. 16X10's are your problem IMO

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yep I run 285s on my 98 with stock rims. I didnt need to crank the bars at all to get them to clear. However I did turn them up just enough to level the front end up a bit, no effect on ride quality or tire wear...

5. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

I know that the wheels are the problem. I'm just trying to find a solution to it. It was wearing the centers of the tires. It seems no one makes a small lift with replacement upper control arms for the 3500 model because it has different ones than the 2500 and 1500 models. Any one else ever run into this??

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Wearing the center of the tires? You sure the tires aren't over-inflated? Cranking torsion bars tends to give the front wheels a lot of positive camber, so that'd make the outside of the tires wear faster, not the center. I know it's a dumb question, but people have done dumber sh!t.

Oh, I've got 285s on my 1500, with about 1/2" of T-bar lift just to keep the tires outta the fenders at full stuff. I don't know anything about 3500 lift kits, because I don't have one, but I do know that if it's your DD and you're gonna lift it, spend the extra couple hundred bucks for the best kit you can find, you'll thank yourself for it.