Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T/C Carnage Possibility??????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

So here are the factors to be added into the equation...........................

Terrain- 6 to 12 inches of mud
    Distance- Probably right around 100 yards
    Speed- Hammered f'n down
    Tires- 35" BFG MT's with 85% tread
    Gearing- 3.4something in front, 3.73 in rear
    T/C- 208
    Tranny-700R4

So with those factors, what do y'all think "x" would equal?

Just FYI, the mud drags are back in town this weekend and depending on entry fees, the Stock Wannabe Prerunner K5 from Black Mesa Off Road with Bubba Ray piloting and Spank A. Beaver copiloting will be one of the entries. Just wondering if running 4-5 heats in 4wd will destroy the T/C with the gear difference. I am willing to go in 2wd if need be............

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Running different ratios in the diffs is rather common on dedicated mud trucks here in the midwest. The idea is to get one axle to spin faster than the other to either pull or push the truck through the goo. Just make sure you pop it into 2wd before getting out of the pits....especially with a 208. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

What are the classes for this race? Around here for street legal trucks, the split is 35's and down and 36's and up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    What are the classes for this race? Around here for street legal trucks, the split is 35's and down and 36's and up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] sweet, I could kick some ass in 35"-down class! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Here the classes are V6 any size tire, V8 33s and smaller without lift, 33-37 with lift, 38-44 with lift, and open.

Only restriction is no nitrous or blowers on anything but the open class. I am not compeditive, but I enjoy going.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Go for it.

If you can, remove the top and the tailgate. It will make a difference. Air down the tires to around 18 or so. Too low will mess with the handling. Run the tranny in drive. It can shift faster than you can. Take out the backseat and run low on gas.

100 yards is a pretty long pit. I dont think I ever ran a pit longer than 35 yards or so.

Have a good time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Running different ratios in the diffs is rather common on dedicated mud trucks here in the midwest. The idea is to get one axle to spin faster than the other to either pull or push the truck through the goo. Just make sure you pop it into 2wd before getting out of the pits....especially with a 208. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that having the truck being pulled rather than pushed would be the ticket, but unfortunately the front gear is higher than rear. I could slap on some 33" on the front to help out a little, but my 33" are pretty wore down.

As for classes, I have no info, think it's going to be a run what ya brung, side by side elimination. I have very little info, and as of this morning, the sponsor had no info other than "show up at the back gate a couple of hours before the event." /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    If you can, remove the top and the tailgate. It will make a difference. Air down the tires to around 18 or so. Too low will mess with the handling. Run the tranny in drive. It can shift faster than you can. Take out the backseat and run low on gas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's another gray area of my brain. Do you think I'll really get good flotation from the 8" rims? I was thinking that I would dig down pretty good and if I could hit the hard bottom pretty quick, then I could grab more traction. The tank is already empty, so grabbing just a couple of gallons to make the trip and if I do enter, I could ditch the top and tailgate pretty fast.

8. Sandman

Airing down isnt for the floatation. Thats the last thing you want in slow mudracing. You wont get it anyway. Airing down some will increase the contact surface on the ground and help you launch better.

Chances are when you go through, the bad mud will be blown out anyway depending on the track and it might turn into a dragrace.

One thing I have learned is that every race is different and no track lasts the same.

This could be you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I would think that having the truck being pulled rather than pushed would be the ticket, but unfortunately the front gear is higher than rear. I could slap on some 33" on the front to help out a little, but my 33" are pretty wore down.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are being pulled. With the front gear a lower number than the rear, the front tires will spin faster than the rears.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    You are being pulled. With the front gear a lower number than the rear, the front tires will spin faster than the rears.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I ain't. The front end is geared higher (numerically lower) than the rearend. Please reread.......... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

It's official, I'm running so Sandman, anymore hot tips you have, let me know. I'm going in with serious disadvantages, well except the driver so I need to pull out all the tricks I can find........

11. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Actually booby, your front end will be turning faster, pulling you through.

At 2500 rpm your tires are doing this:

Front End: 71.8 mph
    Rear End: 65.8 mph

Those numbers are based on a 33" tire but you get the idea.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually booby, your front end will be turning faster, pulling you through.

At 2500 rpm your tires are doing this:

Front End: 71.8 mph
    Rear End: 65.8 mph

Those numbers are based on a 33" tire but you get the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now we've gone past the limits of my feeble mind. Sounds good, maybe I do have a little bit of an advantage then.............. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Geesh, I'm gonna ruin my reputation around these parts with all the technical talk................ /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Sandman

Just treat it like a drag race. Power brake all you can at the start and leave it down. If they will let you, line up in the ruts that are left open. You will have to move less mud and will go much faster.

A locker or a posi in the rear would make a huge difference. Just lighten it up as much as you can and dont worry about the tires. I have canned many a rig with 44"'s becouse they had to move more mud out of the way than my 36" x 12.5" tires. 35" tires should be fine.

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, as long as you're running on something slippery the 208 won't care much.

All of this is from a kid that has only ran 3 bogs in his lifetime.

I'd watch what everyone before you is doing, especially if you can find a seasoned veteran. Sometimes 4low is needed because you have gooey mud or deep mud but other times it turns into a drag race and 4high is your best bet.

Since you're not running deep mud I'd leave it in 4high and put the transmission in first gear. With your tire size and gear ratio you're good for ~50mph in first gear. Since the torque converter never locks up you'll have more torque multiplication and less instantaneous wheelspin because you won't be shifting gears. It's a lot easier to control a truck with all four tires spinning like mad if there isn't a shift while doing it.

If you run 4low you'll be in second gear by the time your rear tires cross where your front bumper started plus you'll have launch problems because of this (tires spin like mad at launch, you get it straightened out just in time for second gear to come and you get sideways again).

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    A locker or a posi in the rear would make a huge difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of my disadvantages, unless I got ballsy and tried to Lincoln lock my 12 bolt with my 110 machine /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'm thinking if I can get lined up in the second/third run down the track, I should have an easier time...........

BTW, thanks for the tips. Answered everything I had swimming around in my gray matter today............ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Sandman

I disagree, With an automatic low range is the only way to go, expecially with his gearing. You want your tires to spin like mad to throw out the mud. If you launch into second gear that fast then you are really doing good and theres always third. I doubt his motor would even pull third very well at all. The only time I would run Hi-range in a mud race would be with a manual.

The gear advantage you get with low range is great for the takoff and you just shift up from there. Everybody who I saw try high range on an automatic never left first gear and if the going got tough, the motor bogged down.

Stay in low.

17. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

A guy I worked with ran in the mud runs around here in MO.
    He had a truck with 38 gumbo mudders with 5.13 in a welded 14ff and 4.10 in a D44. He had a BUILT 406 SB(12:1, tunnel ram, dominator, headers through the hood) /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

He had a 350/203 and he ran in drive/lo loc. He never broke the tranny or the case but did break a few axle joints and stubs doing donuts.

I never got to see him run but the pics I saw showed some pretty deep mud. Looked like fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, but the truck was only good for mud racing, not crawling .

One of the tricks he did was to hang an old piece of rubber from a conveyor belt off the front bumper. It was long enough that when you pulled it towards the back of the truck it would reach a couple inches past the axle tubes under the front end. He claimed it helped keep the front end up so steering was easier and helped keep the pumpkin from becoming a mud-plow. This may not do any good for you if the mud isn't deep enough. You might be able to use an old mud flap off a big truck instead of conveyor belt.

Good luck and have fun!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Sandman

[ QUOTE ]
    One of the tricks he did was to hang an old piece of rubber from a conveyor belt off the front bumper. It was long enough that when you pulled it towards the back of the truck it would reach a couple inches past the axle tubes under the front end. He claimed it helped keep the front end up so steering was easier and helped keep the pumpkin from becoming a mud-plow. This may not do any good for you if the mud isn't deep enough. You might be able to use an old mud flap off a big truck instead of conveyor belt

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a good idea. I get burned out from constantly cleaning the it. I might have to give that a try.

19. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

you're eventually putting a furd 9" in there- lincon lock it!!!!!

and if you really want to break sh!t, enter the tuff truck show when it comes to town! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    you're eventually putting a furd 9" in there- lincon lock it!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would, but right now with a possible move in the near future and needing to spend some big $$$ jack on the 9", I really can't risk it.........

[ QUOTE ]
    and if you really want to break sh!t, enter the tuff truck show when it comes to town! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I will once the suspension is setup for it, but they don't do them around these parts anymore. About 4 years ago, they had a tough truck comp. An old boy in an Uncle Jesse Duke Ford P/U aired it out over the first jump. He won't ever walk again. When he landed, broke his neck (stock bench seat and belt). After riding in that Class 7S truck last month and getting some major air, I am definately one of the believers in race seats and 5 points and big money suspension..............