Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t/c mounts

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by G.M.H, Jul 27, 2003.

1. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

I have almost completed my doubler setup with 2" upclock.I want to build a skidplate from the original x-member back.I will incorporate some kind of urethane mounts under the adapter.My question is,since the factory torque strap no longer reaches,should I build a bracket from the two large bolts down to my skidplate?How much movement should I need?

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

You will want to extend the original bracket, the torque applied to that front driveshaft will push back on the transfer case and possibly brake an adapter.

3. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

Is this what most of you have done? Has anyone done something else which may work better? What does ORD recommend to replace the strap?

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If you're using the mounting feet on the 203 adapter and on our adapter, you don't really need the brace from the side of the 205 to the bellhousing. The array of 4 mounting bolts will help keep the t-cases from twisting and breaking the back of the trans if you do bottom the front driveshaft out.
    That said, it NEVER hurts to stiffen the drivetrain up when an auto trans is concerned so lengthening the bar to reach the new 205 location would be fine. That's what I did on my original Doubler install and it worked out OK.

Incidently, we recently parted out a K5 that had been smacked HARD on the right front and the front axle broke, drove the front driveshaft through the back of the 241 but the front case half on the 241 and the transmission were both OK, due to the brace running to the bell housing. I'm a fan of that brace.