Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-cas indacator light

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok looking for what kind of bulb goes in the t-case shifter to illuminate it when you turn on the lights, also the 4wd idiot light in the gauge cluster, how does that wire into the t-case?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What year/case? (assuming 208/241 if it's lit :))

For '81+ it is likely to be wiring running up to the instrument panel connector.

Previous years used a complete standalone wiring harness, but not sure if every year/case was the same. Should be an easy test, if the bulb is good, disconnect the switch plug, if the light doesn't come on with the key in run, jumper the two wires and see if it does then. If it still doesn't, there is a wiring or gauge bulb issue.

3. Chevy305

The t-case is an 85 NP208. The only thing is my wiring has been totally hacked up real bad.

Also for the running light, there is no bulb or existing wiring.

For the 4wd indiacator light some of the wiring exhists, but where does the switch go into the t-case?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Never really messed with a 208. If it's like the 205, it just screws in above a shift rail with a detent ball that pushes the switch.

The circuit should be VERY simple. (again, basing this on the '91 205 I wired up) Switch is simply open/closed, so you've got one wire that is likely power going into the switch (from fuse panel, etc) and the other wire goes into the instrument panel through the cluster connector, which feeds the PCB for that light.

On the 205 the switch is right on top of the case, kind of a pain to get to.

I recall the wiring for the light of the shifter went under the carpet to the shifter, but that's all I remember about it.

5. Chevy305

So I guess the switch is just like the reverse light switch in my 465.