Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t-case and autolocking hubs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by larsfrog, Jun 24, 2004.

1. larsfrog

larsfrog Registered Member

New member with a few questions hopefully to be answered. I am not technically advanced as most if not all of you I am sure, but I have 2 problems with my 86 K5 305 automatic Blazer.

1) My transfer case has a crack in it, I believe it is the stock case and I want to replace it with a good quality case, I was wondering if anyone can give me suggestions as to which transfer case I should consider, price is also a factor. I do some offroading mostly on dirt roads and sandy beaches in Mexico so nothing too spectacular.

2) I have automatic locking hubs, and when I switch into 4-wheel drive it does not engage fully and makes a "clicking" noise, as well as not wanting to fully disengage continuing to make the clicking noise until I keep shifting back and forth from 4-hi to 2-hi repeatedly. The shift lever moves to 4-hi and 4-lo with no problem but it seems like the locking hubs are not fully engaging/disengaging. Someone told me it was worn out springs in my hubs but I am not sure. Also is this tough to fix? :confused:

2. berndogg

berndogg Registered Member

Howya doin.
    First thing you need to do is ditch the auto hubs and replace them with something like a Warn "all metal" manual hub. Auto hubs are garbage, period.
    If you could be more specific as to where and how bad the crack is, it could be fixed easily. Or you could just buy a dime a dozen NP208 at your local salvage yard and replace it in a couple of hours /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. larsfrog

larsfrog Registered Member

Will I need the Spindle nut conversion kit, provided by Warn if I decided to go with their manual locking hubs. And is all of that hard to install?

4. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

my auto hubs work fine, as for the clicking, it only happens to me if i dun go in reverse for a few feet after shifting into 2hi. thats whats supposed to happen. granted, they're not supposed to click while in 4hi or 4lo. i dunno about that, sounds like they're worn pretty badly. so i would suggest doing what berndogg said and get the warns. (i wish i could afford them right now) as for the t-case...well...i have the np208, and it works wonders for me (granted im not beatin on it too bad on account of stock axles.) but, a 205 seems to be what i see in most trucks near me. good strong iron case and all. well, good luck!