Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-case/axle issues (page 2)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78 k5, Jun 15, 2005.

1. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

I have no way to post a picture that I have of my 14 bolt carrier. I believe it is a gov lock but I want to make sure...anyone willing to pm me an email address so I can get the pic posted?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

3. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

looks like an gov-lok to me.

100_0482.JPG

4. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

I had opened it up because I was going to through some welded spiders in there but found this.

Another question. When I engage my transfercase into four wheel drive my rear tires jump/catch WTF...is my transcase bad?

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Gov-Loc for sure - sorry.
    Tom

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

gov boom for sure. but i like them in my truck. o.k. if you know how to use them.

7. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

*HIJACK* That pic. is what's in my truck BUT it has 4 holes for the cross instead of 3. I was told all gov-loks had 3. Anyone enlighten me on this?

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

The Gov should have 3, and a detroit will have 4. That's what I've always heard about the gov's, but have not owned one to see it for myself. I just made sure mine had 4 when I bought it. ;)

9. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I can't see the pic you posted, but it sounds like a gov-lock from the other responses.

If you look at the two kinds of carriers side by side, its very easy to tell them apart. The gov-lock carrier will be smooth and cone shaped on the tooth side of the ring gear, except for the holes and recesses for the bolts. The open carrier has 4 holes and is lumpy instead of smooth.

I have a post about this that is 4-5 months old. If you search my name I'm sure you will find it and see pics of both kinds.

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

here's how I fixed my 14 bolt gov-lok:

[​IMG]

11. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Probubly not...the first thing I would suspect is having a different gear ratio front/rear.

12. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

I checked twice.... 3.73 on both WTF?

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Tires..

Having different size tires can cause hopping and jerky 4wd operation--even having 2 snow tires and 2 summer treads can affect it some!....even if the tires have the same size printed on them,like 245/75/16 for example,if they are not all the same brand,the size can vary quite a bit!--even if they ARE the same brand,and have the same size printed on them, they sometimes are not the same--

At my friends tire and alignment shop,we ran into this a lot on 4x4 vehicles,especially ones with full time 4wd...we'd measure the tires with a huge pair of calipers,and we would almost always find one tire was an inch bigger or smaller than the others...a few vehicles had all 4 tires different sizes and brands!--when he told one customer her jeep had different size tires,she said "that cant be true--I KNOW they are all 15 inch!".. :surepal: :screwy: --yes but--ones a 235/75/15,one is a 215/70/15,one is a 225/70/15,and #4 was a spare..a 30x10.5x15...

It took my friend quite a while to convince her the tires were the problem and not the jeep!...scary part is she brought it to several other places and had new tie rod ends and ball joints put in,and they never said a word about the tires!--one even had steel cords showing on the inner edges!...she bought 4 new tires and said it was like a new jeep after!..she wont go to those other shops anymore..2 of her wheels only had 3 lug nuts holding them on--the other place snapped off the studs,and never said boo...nice huh? :screwy:

14. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

Could be...I guess my confusion lies in the fact that I ran this rear end and tires on my K5 for 4 months with no problems and now I'm having issues in the new Burb...thats why I was leaning towards drivetrain problems....although all four tires are complete crap and have never been balanced :D