Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-Case Brace Rod Broke!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chili 87 K5, May 8, 2000.

1. Chili 87 K5

Chili 87 K5 Registered Member

There is (was) a 3-foot long, 3/4" diameter rod that bolted to the right (passenger) side of my transfer case, and apparently extended forward at an upward slant. It "just dropped out" when my wife was driving... of course. The rear end of the rod has a 4" long flattened section where two bolts fix it to the T-case. Where the front end of this rod was attached is a mystery. The front tip of the rod has a short right-angle finger with a 5/16" (or so) hole through it. It looks like a steering tie-rod from a smaller vehicle. When I hold it in place, it just about reaches the bolts that fasten the exhaust manifold to the main pipe.

Can anybody help me identify this rod and how to replace it?

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status

I believe it's a torque rod an it goes from the transfer case up to the transmission and uses bolts the bolt the transmission to engine .

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Just went out and looked at mine...
    The rod bolts to the t-case housing and runs forward and up, as you said, and appears to end at the bellhousing where the starter is mounted. Couldn't tell exactly how it ends, too much stuff in the way. I do recall reading in an old 4Wheeler mag that the brace is almost a must-have for aluminum t-cases to prevent housing cracks and breakage. Sounds like good advice to me. My Haynes manual is MIA, so I can't look in it. Hope this helps.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...