Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t-case drop part II

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmy4x4, Oct 28, 2003.

1. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Okay, first off who here has done this and why? benefits?
    Will I need this with my 6" lift Im installing soon?

Finally.....How much of a drop should I make...1"...1.5"???

I plan on making my own tomorrow at work, found some scrap metal, but I need to know how thick to make the spacer.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay, first off who here has done this and why? benefits?

[/ QUOTE ]

i lowered my 208 back in the day. the only "good" reason for doing it is to band-aid fix driveline angle issues.

[ QUOTE ]
    Will I need this with my 6" lift Im installing soon?

[/ QUOTE ]

lots of variables... pretty much a test-it-out-and-see type thing. If you have lots of driveline vibe after u lift it, its worth a try.

[ QUOTE ]
    Finally.....How much of a drop should I make...1"...1.5"???

[/ QUOTE ]

factory spacers on my 85 were 1". how much you drop will depend on how far beyond optimal operating angles your driveshafts are.

j

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

No more than 1". Slip yoke cases sometimes cause vibration, a better (but more expensive) fix is use a fixed yoke on your x-fer case output. Don't do it unless you need to. All you are doing is removing the lift you just paid for and stressing the motor mounts.

4. 88jimmy4x4

Why is it a "band-aid" fix?
    What are my options?

Im not arguing, just wanna know the best way to do this lift right the first time and why. You guys have helped and taught me alot, I appreciate the help. Im installing the lift this saturday. I have to drive this on the following monday to work so its important that all my ducks are in a row. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I guess I will make some 1" spacers and keep them handy for "just in case" issues.

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Longer Shaft or a Double Cardon would be a non-band aid fix... I have both a drop and a double cardon on a 6"...

My question, if you don't mind me Hi-Jacking, is, when I go back down to a 4" lift with custom High Angle Double Cardons that I'm going to get, can I put my Tcase back to stock height for better center ground clearance??? My exhaust is RIGHT there though, so I mght have to relocate that too?

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

All depends if you have a Slip yolk or not-

if you dont, it should be ok- but if you do, it tends to be a little bit more sensitve when it comes to drive shaft length, and proper amount of slip yolk in the transfer case. Too much, and it will bottom out, too little, and it may slip out.

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yea I have a slip... I was planning on getting shafts made after the lift was put on and everything measured out...

Here's a pic, the xfer case looks really low to me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/dc4x4/pic99.html

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

its a band-aid fix because while it may cure annoying vibes, it is detrimental to ground clearance, isnt as strong of a x-member to frame connection, and in the long run is prolly gonna result in shorter lifespans for driveshaft u-joints (compared to either shafts/joints designed for high angles or stock stuff running at optimal angles).

at any rate, i recommend installing the lift... test driving the rig.. and if there are annoying shaft vibrations, then try the spacers so you can use it as a DD. At some point later on you'll want to get better shafts so you can tuck ur case up nice and high. IMO, its best to wait until after you have your entire drivetrain figured out before you go ahead and get them... otherwise you'll always be lengthening/shortening the shafts and crap. I have HADs on my rig and like them a lot.

j

9. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]

at any rate, i recommend installing the lift... test driving the rig.. and if there are annoying shaft vibrations, then try the spacers so you can use it as a DD. At some point later on you'll want to get better shafts so you can tuck ur case up nice and high. IMO, its best to wait until after you have your entire drivetrain figured out before you go ahead and get them... otherwise you'll always be lengthening/shortening the shafts and crap. I have HADs on my rig and like them a lot.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, sounds like good advice, I will do exactly that. Install the lift and see how it goes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I made some today out of 2"W x 4.5"L x 1"thick A36 CS, should be plenty strong.