Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t-case drop temporary fix?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, May 22, 2005.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

hey guys, i posted last week bout 8" lift and driveshafts. but this thought just shot into my head. if i got like one of those 2" drop t-case kits, would that work temporarly with my stock rear driveshaft? i only need 2wd so i dont care if the front would work or not. this wouldnt be a long term fix, i would measure for teh driveshaft, then put the drop on and then when the shaft came take the drop off.what do you guys think? would it work? if so, what kind of problems would i be getting myself into? OR am i just an idiot for even considering this? :D haha

thanks guys, i love ck5 i dunno what id do w/o it

2. muddybuddy

anybody?

they sell a drop kit thats ment for 6-8" lift for $23 at rockymountains suspension. would i be able to run shock rear shaft with til until my new shaft comes? thanks

3. muddybuddy

oh come on! some one at least give an opinion. i hope my idea/ thought isnt that far-fetched.

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm not sure how much the 2" drop would give you in driveshaft length. Have you got the shaft ordered? I'd just make (made) me a rear shaft until I could afford a good one.<----Still waiting after 2 years to "afford" a good one. :xmas:

5. 1meanm1009

1meanm1009 Registered Member

I have a 2"t case drop with a 6 " lift and i had to lenghten the shaft.Also i would have a cv shaft made way better for the pinion angle

6. muddybuddy

hmm so then even with the drop for 8" lift, it still might not work. o well i guess since its only $23 its worth a try. what kind of damage can dropping the t-case do, even if its for a short period of time?

7. 1meanm1009

1meanm1009 Registered Member

I blew the input bearing 2 times and it made a nice grinding sound on decel from high speed

8. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

hmm i was thinking maybe, just maybe, you could use a 1" driveshaft spacer, drop the t-case 2", and use zero rate to move your rear axle forward towards the t case 1-1/2". when you get a new driveshaft ditch the tcase drop, ds spacer, and relocate the axle back, or move it 1-1/2 back from stock!!! maybe it will work

9. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i just got a longbox driveline and spent the 80.00 to have it shortened,balanced, and new u-joints and i was done with it

10. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

sounds good that way

how much lift do you have??

11. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i have 8inch springs with zero rates and 6inch rear springs with 3 inch blocks, you might want to rotate ur spring perches for better spring angle too