Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-case drop

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KapeKodK5, Apr 23, 2000.

1. KapeKodK5

KapeKodK5 Registered Member

Ok I know i saw this on here recently, but I can not find it in the archives. I have a '90 with a 4" lift and add a leafs in the back. I am experiencing the vibration. I know theoretically how a transfercase drop works. But, what do you use to space the skid plate and how much do you drop it?

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

For those of us who are ignorant, can someone briefly explain lowering the T-case? Thanks.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

3. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Most transfer crossmembers have 1-1.5" spacers installed already. Some have them on top of the frame, others have them between the mounting bolt head and the crossmember. In either case they are not spacing the crossmember and the transfer case.

To drop the transfer case place the spacers between the crossmember and the frame. Some caution here. Check the spacing between the firewall and the distributor cap. Also check the fan shroud. The spacers will lower the entire rear of the motor, trany, transfer case and raise the front of the engine slightly.

Hope this helps.

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Its just to improve driveline angles. Optional on a 4 inch lift, but pretty necessary on anything bigger for something short wheelbase like a Blazer.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Ok first I would not recommend dropping your t-case for a permanent fix. When you lower the t-case, you are actually lowering your crossmember that the case mounts to. This also raises the front of your motor. Not good. Besides, who wants to have less ground clearance. First off when you installed the lift you changed your pinion angle. Also the drive shaft has to angle down from the tail shaft an extra 4". Your drive shaft is now too short and the slip yoke is running on the edge of the spines. This is where your vibration is coming from. First off, you should get measure and get your drive shaft lengthened. This should fix your problem. If your driveline angles are still off, you will need to either shim the rear to bring your pinion angle up, relocate your spring perches, or use a cv joint. If you must lower your t-case you can use spacers between the framerail and the t-case cross member. No more than an inch. Good luck and hope this helped.

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"