Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t-case fluid level??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TIGHTWORK82 K5, Sep 19, 2002.

1. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

my 208 is leaking out of the front seal, I went to check the fluid last night, pulled the top fill plug and fluid came gushing out. I was under the ass-um-ption that the fluid should only be to the bottom of the filler hole? also the t-case is seperate from the tranny?? sump wise? and if so how did the last owner get it filled so high? I was on level ground. Use ATF fluid correct? maybe that is why it was leaking. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

The t-case should be filled to the top plug. When I check the level on mine some fluid escapes,but doesn't poor out. You are also right about the using tranny fluid.

3. TIGHTWORK82 K5

4. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

I have a similar problem with my 80K5. From what I can gather the fluid problem is a leak between the tranny and tcase. I have been told that the oil seal between them goes and allows fluid to leak from the tranny to the tcase. You should check the tranny fluid level and if it is low that is probably why. I know that with mine I have to drain the tcase about once every three months and there is over a quart of fluid that comes out. With regard to the type of fluid you should be using in your tcase mine calls for gear oil but I know that newer ones use regular tranny fluid.

Joe

5. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

You are experiencing the very common (on np208's) trans to transfer seal leakage. I see this weekly in my shop. The problem is the seal in the adapter between the two. Every 208 uses ATF Dexron so no harm done. The problem you run into with this is seal leakage and/or spilling out the vent tube, especially on hot days. Every few months pull the top plug, drain until level and top off the transmission.

6. TIGHTWORK82 K5

sounds good, gettin rebuilt or new in 6 months wich ever gives me a warranty. does a tranny shop do work on t-case (say I bring it in and want the whole thing rebuilt). I was told that they would not give me a warranty cause it was a 4-wheel drive. he said 30 days. that was all transmission world. maybe aamco will be better.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

talk to some locals to find THE guy to go to.
    Aamco is not a good idea IMO.
    chain stores hire pretty much anyone that will wear the patch on their chest.
    It would be best if you can get a rapport going with the actual person that is doing your tranny rather then a 'manager/counter person'(his interest is PROFIT only)

8. TIGHTWORK82 K5

right on thanks, Anyone know a good tranny guy in Orlando????????????? see if that works! ha ha /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif