Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-Case fluid

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Aug 24, 2000.

Hey guys and girls! This is gonna seem like a idiotic question so I apologize. Just for reference, I have a stock 90 which means I should have an NP241 and a TH700-R4.

Does the fluid in my t-case come from the tranny right in front of it? Or in other words does filling the tranny from the tube under the hood mean I am also filling my t-case too.

Thanks as always.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

No, at least I dont think so. I have no experience with the 241, but all the other t-cases fill through plugs in their housings, i dont see why this one wouldn't. I think the 241 and 208 are a little similar, look on the back ot the t-case, beside the output shaft for the rear driveshaft, you should see two plugs. One will be towards the top and one will be towards the bottom. these will be you drain and fill plugs.

Anyone else?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

2. Another related question.....

I replaced the shaft housing/t-case extension last week. It is leaking fluid at the bottom bolt b/t the t-case and the extension. There was no gasket on the old one. Should there be or did I just not crank down the bolts hard enough? I am a little worried about stripping something since everything seems to be aluminum. Is there something I can do instead of a gasket (i.e., grease, etc) to make sure it doesn't leak?

Plus I replaced the seal in the housing and that seems to also be still leaking. Is there another step besides putting it in? It is the type of seal with the spring in it. It seems to be leaking between the driveshaft and the rubber part of the seal.

Thanks for the help as always.

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

First, it's an NP241. The t-case is not supposed to fill from the tranny, but when the rear seal in the tranny leaks, which is common, it works that way. This is one of the causes of the leak at your slip yoke on the rear t-case output, the t-case gets overfilled from the tranny. It is very difficult to stop those slip yokes from leaking completely, even when all is right with the seals. This is because the yoke slides in and out, as well as turning. This problem is also accentuated with short wheel bases, and lifts, because of the driveshaft angle. Slip yokes work pretty good on Suburbans, and LWB pickups, not so good on Blazers.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would imagine there should be a gasket in there. Call a drivetrain place and double check that.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. Thanks a lot for the info Tim. How difficult is it to replace the rear seal in the tranny?

6. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

the fill and drain are almost flat large plugs (looks like a bolt)in th passenger side the top is fill the bootom is drain fill till it runs out.also most likely its a 208 transfer case look at the tag it will say.

7. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Anyone know how to replace that rear seal on the tranny ? I'm interested !
    Blake

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Look at the slip yoke where it rides in the seal. You can try to polish it or get a new one. This will usualy stop the dripping when combined with a new seal.
    Jim '80 GMC.

It's a Wheelbase thing, You're Jeep wouldn't understand!
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com