Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-Case gasket???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89BlazerK5, Sep 16, 2003.

1. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

i need the gasket that goes in between the tranny adapter, and my NP241. the tranny is a 4L60. this is on my 91 K5. NOBODY has this gasket. neither NAPA or O'Rilley's distribution centers even knows what the hell i'm talking about. it's not in the fel-pro book. does GM have it? or can i just use some high temp RTV?? i'm hesitant to use RTV, i don't want it to leak, and, i don't want any RTV getting in the tcase. what should i dO?

it's a big round circle, with 6 equi-distant bolt holes.

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

RTV. it's the way to go, if it gets a little in the case it'll just get dissolved and broken into tiny pieces by the gears real quick. it won't hurt them it's so soft. i will not leak at all if you don't let it dry first, but will be a little bit harder to seperate later on, but still pretty eay with all that weight.

3. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Is this a paper gasket? I had a paper one between my 700R4 and 208, and I took what was left of the old gasket, bought some gasket paper from the local parts place (like $2.00) and made my own. The dealer was the only place that carried the original gasket, and they wanted $20.00 for it.

Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with RTV. Just don't overdo it, and give it plenty of time to cure.

4. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

If there is no gasket (check the dealer), then try GM part # 1052942 "Gasket Maker" instead of regular RTV. It is anaerobic, so it requires no air to cure (while RTV does). The parts guy at the dealership recommended this to me when I redid my NP208, and I have had ZERO leaks since then.

cost is around $2 -$3 for a small tube