Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-Case Gaskets??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by njonl, Jul 30, 2003.

1. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

My tranny recently took a dump. While I have everything out, I thought I would fix a leak in my transfer case by replacing the gaskets. Is this something I can do or is it better left to a professional ? What is involved in this process ? Where can I get gaskets for my 208 ? Thanks for any help,

Nick

2. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I just went through that. I assume you are talking about the seam in the case and not the seals at the output shafts. My local Chevy dealer's parts dept. told me that there weren't any gaskets there, and to use silicone.
    The rest of the seals and such can be picked up at just about any decent auto parts store.

3. ji240

ji240 Registered Member

Gaskets are not available through the dealer or parts stores as Nerdboy stated. I would however use anerobic sealer instead of silicone. It is much more expensive but I have had much better luck with it.

Good Luck

John

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Mine leaks between the case halves behind the torque arm that goes up to the bellhousing.

The stealership said there is no gasket there. I'm not surprised because I saw no evidence of one.

I'm planning on using Yamabond #4 when I finally get around to fixing my leak. Yamabond #4 is this really gooey stuff that dries like a rubberband and won't come off without a blade. It's designed for machined flat surfaces and be applied really thin unlike RTV. I've used it on my two-stroke ATVs for years between the case halves. It sees gas, oil, vacuum (probably 10psi), and 180psi of pressure all the time. Does anyone have another sealer on their mind?

5. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

I tought that mine leaks between the case halves also.
    but i cleaned it and there is a pie shape crack in it.
    i went to buy the seal and gasket kit and it dose not come with the gasket for the case halves. so i am not going to fix it. i am going to a dubler.