Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t-case gurus , need your help a.s.a.p.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Jun 5, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ok heres the deal. swapped my tranny and t-case out. dude told me it was out of a 78' or 79' pickup. everything works but i want my old 4x4 indicator lite to work. the dude who put it in said there was no provision for this and said i would have to swap out entire shift box and maybe mess with linkages. i contacted a tranny shop and and they said that the np203 has had the provision for this lite since its inception(he said 73') . if this is so what t-case did i get ? how can i i.d. it ? is it still possible to get my 4x4 indicator lite to work since all it is , is a mercury switch ? thanks for any and all help. also, i dont know if this helps, but the shifter knob has , like the ouline of a truck chasis on it and thats all.

2. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

I can't help too much, but I can tell you that the 203 in my '75 K10 has the light.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

203 has *5* positions for the handle, whereas the 205 and 208 have 4. The 205 shifter bolts directly to the case with one linkage piece, the 203 is a bit more complex, and the 208 uses the shifter assembly that is bolted to the body and has a non-straight shift pattern.

4. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i was wondering if any one had a t- case design schematic or drawing one could use for reference similar to the one on trannys in the tech section ? is this worthy of a write up for this site ? im sure im not the first person with this question, i know, im bad, i probabley should have done a search first. bad toad....bad toad.......lol

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Are you sure it is a 203? Does it look like two gear boxes bolted together?

6. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ya im pretty sure they look the same. i plan to crawl under and do some more looking and comparing tomarrow (i have the first t-case's shiter box removed and lose). unfortunately the place where the label for the type of t-case the other is empty and blank (outline is left there). i admit i dont know much about this subject so im probabley not being to helpful.

7. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

First off read the 205 tech write up on www.offroaddesign.com.
    A quick way to tell the 203 and 205 apart are the drain/fill plugs. The 203 will have one in the center of the case. The 205 will have 2, both toward the lower edge of the case. The 205 back half of the case has 3 'covers'. the 203 only has 2. The small cover on the 205 is in between the 2 larger covers and has 3 bolts holding it on. The shifter positions are a good way to tell too but some are touchy and hard to tell when you hit another gear.

8. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

excellent info, really thanks alot. the info you gave me helped me more than the write up. with the info you gave me on drain / fill plugs, im pretty sure its a np203. must just have an older shift box, or could someone have switched them ? i do know something though, the shift knobs will not switch cause the newer t-case (the one thats in now) has a different diameter knod bolt (smaller). also the knob is the same knob that was in my 78' k20 4x4 and i know it had a full time np203 in it .still dont know why the change over in knobs ? the original t-case had the hi / lo / loc on it instead of the chasis outline on the new one.