Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t-case help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigboyblazers, Aug 23, 2005.

1. bigboyblazers

bigboyblazers Registered Member

I have a 203 t-case. With the shifter in 4-hi or 4-lo and my hubs locked in I still only have 2wd. If I shift it to 4-hi lock or 4-lo lock I get a popping noise. Any help would be great. Thank you.

2. mudman83

mudman83 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Put it in 4 wheel drive and then put the transmission in park. Then go underneath and try to spin the front drive shaft with the front hubs unlocked. If it does spin your transfer case is not going into four wheel drive and somehthing internal is broken, most likely a chain or shifter fork. If it does not spin, then you know that the drive shaft is at least connected to something, and it is either in the front diff or hubs, which are easy to pull off and check.

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I think your chain may be stretched, and is jumping a tooth. I have the same problem. Go to the tech section on this site, and read the write-up on the Mile Marker part time kit by Grim Reaper. He addresses this somewhat. Mine only makes the popping when it's under load, albeit a very light load, if I'm just cruising in 4, it doesn't happen. Like I said, I think it's a stretched chain, for which 203's are notorious.

4. JonV

JonV Registered Member

p.s. chains don't stretch, they wear.

5. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

every owned a dirt bike? chains streatch like a Mo Fo. service life is determined by stretch. T-case would be similar IMO

6. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i work on mountain bikes- chains stretch-alot :D