Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-Case help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Livelli, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Livelli

Livelli Registered Member

I just installed a new (reman'd) 700r4 and my 208 slips into neutral (or outta gear) whenever I decelerate rapidly. My linkage seems okay, as does my fluid. Any ideas? I cant afford the 205 swap just yet, on account of the new X-mission.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are your trans/motor mounts ok? Sounds like maybe they're moving and pulling on the linkage as u decelerate hard. They'd have to be really shot though. Are you sure your linkage adjustment is ok?

3. Livelli

As far as I can tell the linkage is set right. It did this before I swapped the trans, the old one had a crack and whenever I added too much fluid to compensate for the leak, the t-case would slip outta gear. The big difference between now and then is that it did it whenever it wanted to back then, now it only does it when Im stopping. The fluid level is within normal limits, and I put in a new trans mount when I did the swap. Motor mounts are still the old '85s, but they feel, sound, look okay. I'll probably swap em anyway. The only other thing I can think of is that I wasn't there when the fluid was added, it was raining bad that day so maybe a bit of water made its way into the trans. Its a remote possibility. Outside of that, I'm lost.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Sounds familiar! I found that this problem made me very unpopular at busy intersections. The first time it happened I actually jumped out and looked under the truck to see if the driveshaft was still there!

In my case, the mode fork was completely chewed off. This probably happened from running with the linkage misadjusted a little or maybe just 20+ years on the road. The first thing that goes is the little plastic bushings and then it slowly chews through the forks.

If the linkage checks out OK, then you may want to pop the case open to look at the forks. They are pretty straightforward to work on, but it does take some time to pull them in and out of the vehicle.

5. Livelli

That would explain the "pebble in a coffee can" noise that manifests whenever it skips out. I think it might just be the truck's way of telling me it wants a 205. Also, anyone know where I could find a t'case support bar. Ive seen them on a few other blazers and K trucks, but mine never had one. My local chevy d'ship dosent seem to have a clue what I mean.

Thanks again for the help.

6. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Same thing happened to me. At first I thought it was a problem with my freshly rebuilt th400. I bet the tranny shop was cussing me after I made them pull the pan and check it out, only to find nothing wrong :crazy:. Once I knew it was the 208, I just jumped on the local boards and gambled on an unknown $50 32 spline 208 an hour or so away. The swap is easy enough and the gamble turned out good, works like a charm. With a 208, I'd just try to find another one cheap (should be really cheap since its 27 spline) before I'd spend any time working on it, although cheap parts vary with geography. Good luck. May even find the support rod with the case.

7. Livelli

Thanks for all the info. Out of frustration on my home from work last night I tried the old bungee on the linkage trick and I haven't experienced the problem since. I work at an autozone and a few of my customers have offered assistance by way of cheap used parts. I dont mind rebuilding one if I can buy it off of one of 'em cheap enough. Also, my guy at chevy figured out what I was talking about with that t-case support rod. $21-ish retail if anyone needs one.
    Thanks again