Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t case identification question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by offroad87, Mar 2, 2004.

1. offroad87

offroad87 Registered Member

i have a 87 K5 with a broke np 208. i got another one today, but im not sure what the differences are. on the broke one the tag reads:

208 C 2
    1400 8249
    1 8 87
    the one i got to hopefully replace it reads:

208 C 1
    1400 8249
    1 2 86
    the only differences in the numbers are the model one is a 208C2 while the other is a 208C1 and of course the build date . what does the last digit of model # mean. by the way, im new to four wheel drive trucks so please bear with me.

2. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

if i remember right i think that hads to do with the case/model number of the t-case i had the same problem once but found out they were all the same inside and all the parts were inerchangable.

3. offroad87

offroad87 Registered Member

i havent pulled my case apart yet but the main thing wrong with it is that the case is cracked all the way around it. im not sure if their is anything wrong with the internal parts. im going to hopefully find time to pull mine tommarro and compare the two. im also running a 700R4 if that helps any. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i havent pulled my case apart yet but the main thing wrong with it is that the case is cracked all the way around it. im not sure if their is anything wrong with the internal parts. im going to hopefully find time to pull mine tommarro and compare the two. im also running a 700R4 if that helps any. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

the only thing you want to check is the spline count on the input, your 700ra wants 27 spline, the th400 wants 32.
    I don;t know if the C2 would be for 32spline or it's just the later years.
    The spline count is the only difference between all GM 208's

5. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    even if it is a diffeeent spline count...chances are he can swap the inputs...its probably not the input that went ka-boom

6. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    even if it is a diffeeent spline count...chances are he can swap the inputs...its probably not the input that went ka-boom

7. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if u run into trouble when u get the old one out. don't hessitate to gimme a call.