Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-case lowering?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BozoWise, Jun 27, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I just flipped the rear shackels and removed the blocks to get a 6" lift in the rear. Going to get a set of 6" TC springs for the front. Should I lower the t-case on my fulltime case? If so where can I get a kit? Can I build one? Thanks for the info.

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

On my 4 inch, I just used the 1 inch "spacers" that GM supplied for the transfer case x member mounting bolts. I don't know if a six inches will need more than 1 inch drop.

John

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

All you need to do to lower it 1 inch is use the spacers that are already there /forums/images/icons/grin.gif they will be on top above the frame just move them between the frame the cross member and your set /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Thanks should an inch do the trick? I'll have to check and see if my 79 has the spacers there.. Will check in the AM

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

it should do it but each truck is different lol all blazers have the spacers from the factory unless someone took them out /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

If you don't have the spacers ... I think you can just use 1" square tubing. Like Mudhog said all rigs are different....

7. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys ;-)

8. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

After I lowered my transfer case 1" it got rid of the low speed vibration but now when I accelerate in reverse it makes a loud grinding sound on the firewall! Any else experience something like this?

9. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Mine hasn't yet, but I also have a body lift on mine.

All hte spacers were there all I needed was the impact w/ 11/16 and a 5/8 backup took me about 20 minutes w/ 2 smoke breaks ;-)

10. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Make sure the driveline is not rubbing against the muffler heat shield. The torque in reverse might be kicking the tcase over just far enough for light contact, when the t-case is stock height it is above the heat shield.

11. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Another thing to note.... As most of us have lowered our T-cases this way... (including myself) these lengths of tubing and their little contact patch between the frame and the crossmember really take some of the strength out of the crossmember. It no longer contacts the frame in a smooth wide flat area to keep things rigid, I think this allows some exta frame flex. I will be removing mine and using some nice flat, square thick wall tubing to get it back into direct contact with the frame.

12. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Great point Tori

13. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Skyjacker sells a lowering kit for about $25, it comes with new grade 8 bolts, nuts, washers, and 4 grade8 plates that fit in between the frame and crossmember, its what I did to mine.

14. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

Thanks for the advice Trailblazer, I'll check the muffler heat shield when I get home from work!!!