Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-case making noise while coasting

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by balzackks84, Mar 18, 2003.

1. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It happens when I'm at speed. It starts at about 35 MPH and gets louder from there. And it only happens when im coasting. If I slam it down a gear going down hill it will go away cause its under a load. And I've got a brand new slip yoke on it with about 1/4 to 1/3 of it sticking out of the t-case. Its a 208 and I just took a grinder to the ears on the driveshaft and yoke to make sure it wasn't those ticking together. What the heck is causing this?

2. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Hard to tell without explaining what kind of sound it is..

3. balzackks84

Hmmmmm... The best way i can describe it is it sounds like the ears on the yoke are slightly hitting. Its not a grinding noise but some vibration is felt in the floor boards. And I know there is enough fluid in it cause I got a big money shot when I pulled the slip yoke out to check if the ears were actually hitting.

4. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a pocket bearing starting to go out. real easy to replace. I just replaced one in a customers 208 last week at work. It only made the noise while coasting around 30 to 45 MPH.
    Colin

5. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Do you have a CV shaft on the rear driveline?

6. balzackks84

Just a slip yoke and single u-joint.

7. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

sounds like gear rattle -the angles are too extreme you need a c/v and a 2 degree working angle at the diff and it will go away- jesse /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...I got a big money shot when I pulled the slip yoke out...

[/ QUOTE ] ROTFLMFAO!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got a big money shot when I pulled the slip yoke .

[/ QUOTE ]

i will second that ROFLMAO /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Does it sound like a pipe dragging on the road? Like a rattleing vibe noise. I get the same thing, a bad driveshaft angle causes it. Try dropping your tcase or adding angle shims to your axle. If those don't work a CV shaft would solve that for sure.

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Kind of a whining noise that only appears at speed and when not under load? It almost sounds like a brake lathe that isn't doing any cutting. Beats me, but I've got it too.

It sounds to me like one of the many bearings in there are getting ready to let loose.

12. balzackks84

Well if everyone has this problem but no ones breaking I guess that means I'm good to go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Only a 200 mile round trip to the beach, and maybe some sloppy wheeling just beofre /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Im having the exact same problem with my setup. I am getting a very loud noise that sounds like the edge of a gear hitting something. It only happens during deceleration and when the engine load levels out at speed. I am getting the noise in my NP203 range box for the WMS Dual case setup I have. I just spent some cash on the rear shaft - upgraded it to 1350 front and rear and now I might have to install a CV rear shaft. I will try to point the 14 bolt down a little to get the correct angles.

Jesse, is it true that proper driveline angles should be within 1 degree with a Non-CV shaft?

The rear shaft on mine is 36" long and has 1350 attached to the T-Case and 1350 slip yoke on the 14 bolt. The rear output is nearly level on the NP205 and the 14 bolt is pointed upward toward the NP205 yoke (inline with the d-shaft). Could this be my shaft chatter problem?

I believe the part about the shaft making the gears inside your cases chatter - expecially with a Doubler.

14. agk5

agk5 Registered Member

i have an 82 with 4 inch lift, and am running into the same problem. im about to replace the rear shaft with a cv shaft. i also poked around and saw that my front shaft was rubbing the crossmember. check your front shaft for rub marks right around the cv where it hits on the crossmember. i think minor trimming can fix it if we share the same problem

15. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i have an 82 with 4 inch lift, and am running into the same problem. im about to replace the rear shaft with a cv shaft. i also poked around and saw that my front shaft was rubbing the crossmember. check your front shaft for rub marks right around the cv where it hits on the crossmember. i think minor trimming can fix it if we share the same problem

[/ QUOTE ] I had that problem, installed a superlift front driveshaft spacer and that solved the problem. In the rear I also had the chattering problem until I lowered my t-case (my pinion is pointed toward the t-case with a non-c/v shaft) it still happens from time to time but when it does it is very faint. I am looking into getting a c/v shaft anyway so I can put my t-case back up where it belongs (what's the point of lifting if you just have to lower stuff to make it work? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif)