Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

t-case not disengaging?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bladwin, Sep 11, 2006.

1. bladwin

bladwin Registered Member Premium Member

I took my 89 burb on a 90 mile trip through the Colockum Wildlife Area here in WA this weekend, not in 4wd alot but a lot of bowling ball sized rocks, ruts and the like. Did I mention dust? Anyway, coming home home on the highway I start to hear a chain draging sort of noise coming out of the t-case. (belive it's a 241) slow to a crawl and pop, the noise would stop. I noticed the front drive line was still turning in the parking lot. Ideas? Thanks!

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

What is the position of the Tcase shifter? If it is indicating 2wd I would suspect a hub sticking in the locked position causing the Driveshaft to turn and subsequently the chain inside the case. Auto hubs are notorius for not working properly.

Ira

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can twist the shaft by hand to make sure what you were seeing is just parasitic drag...they'll do that.

Auto hubs? Need to back up to unlock them, but if it was in 2WD, that shouldn't make noise from the case.

4. bladwin

Thanks for the replies, it's making sense. Yea, I can turn the front shaft by hand...so it's just draging? shifter is in 2wd position. Auto hubs. Whats up with the clunk nearing a stop and then no drag noise? It's kinda scary..

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Are you sure that all of your tcase bolts are tight on the mount? There are 4 of them 2 on the mount and 2 from the mount to the tcase. Mine would clunk when my mount was loose and also my downshift from 2 to 1 is kinda stout also.

Ira

6. bladwin

I'm going to check it out today. Thanks again!

7. bladwin

hmmm, everythings tight. Haven't I seen a company that sells a manual control for positive (dis)engagement?