Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-Case NP 203

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazingItaly, Nov 2, 2000.

1. BlazingItaly

BlazingItaly Registered Member

I've a stock '79 K5 350/th 350 Np 203, when I shift to any other gear than 4HI the rear rh wheel slips and when I shift back to 4HI I need to go on reverse for few meters to unlock the T-Case. Is that normal?

Thanks

Luca

2. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Yes.

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If it's still full time I have found that it shift pretty easy if your rolling about 10mph throw the tranny in N and select the mode you want. Only do this on a loose surface. If I try to shift mine sitting still it's always a fight. goes easy when rolling. I have also found when going from high to low or vice versa that it's best to go all the way to lock and then back to just high and low if thats what your hunting for. For some reason both my 79 and 75 liked poping out of high or grinding if I don't go to lock first and then back to high.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. BlazingItaly

BlazingItaly Registered Member

Thanks guys, I will sleep better, even if sometime low-lock pop out.

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

yeah, I got the same case and I have to do the same thing.

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

6. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,

How often do you guys with fulltime have to put it in loc. I seem to wheel better with it in H or L. It usually just digs in when I put it in lock and I end up taking it out of loc.

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Mine has been in the lock position about 5 times in 21 years. Still working great with no rebuilds and no part time kit. So far it only popped from lo-loc once. Maybe I didn't engage it well. I think only you need to engage the loc positions to lubricate when you install a part time kit.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I had a 3/4 ton GMC that was fulltime, I almost never had to pull it back into lock. I am currently building a 78 Blazer and it will be full time too. You can't beat the traction and stability of fulltime 4x4.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

10. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I think part time conversions for the 203 are way overrated. Give up traction and stability for what?[​IMG] 2 mpg better gas mileage[​IMG]. I can think of far better ways to get 2 mpg than ruin a perfectly good fulltime four wheel drive setup. This of course is my opinion.[​IMG]

Jeff427

11. Grim-Reaper

digging? what do you mean? Mine gets slapped into LOC everytime I hit the trail. LOC is not for the street. you have to have a seuface where you can slip the tires when you turn.
    If it's not in lock on the trail it can send all the power to the wheel with the least traction instead of the 50/50 to both axles. Mine has poped out of lock from time to time and sucks pulling a monster hill and all of a sudden have all the power got to the front and start spinning one tire!

Grim-Reaper

12. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Grim,

When I put it in Loc the tires just dig into the dirt. I sink almost imediatly. I 4wheel in a lot of sand and clay. Not alot of rock here. I have open differentials. I know it works when put into Loc because the sand and mud start flying from the front. For example on a sand hill I can cruise up it in H but when I put ing in HLoc I can only get up about 1/2 way. I just find it odd that I can wheel better when it is not in Loc. I'm running 33's and 3.73 gears.

I haven't had to put it in Loc very much, but when I do it is almost too much. Maybe it is just the terrain I'm going on.

13. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Toad, it may be the cobination of the terain, and the tires your running. What tires do you run? If they are agressive tires they will be more prone to digging, and loc will amplify that.

Jeff427

14. Grim-Reaper

Something isn't right here. It should be just the oposite. More prone to dig without it in loc because it can send all the power too one axle. I have had my truck pop out of lock and get rooster tails from just the front axle and the rear never turned. Are you aware of a axle ever being swapped on the truck? you running same size tires front and rear with the same wear? What I'm getting at here is if for some reason the final gearing at the ground was different from front to rear. If say you had a 3.08 gear in the front and a 3.73 in the rear it would do as you say for sure when in Loc. In high or low the center Diff would compinsate for the miss geared axles but it wouldn't be a good thing having that much load on that diff all the time on the road.

Grim-Reaper