Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-case or Tranny?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevysrule, Dec 29, 2001.

1. chevysrule

chevysrule Registered Member

so i was driving home today, and in 1st gear the motor would rev real high but i'd barely move.The more i drove the worse it got. And eventually Something clanged and my truck wouldn't move. It felt almost like the front driveline was wedged into the pavement, fluid was pouring out from the flywheel cover. We eventually got it to move, but the t-case had to be in neutral. The tranny could be in any gear even park, and we could still push it. We pulled the tranny pan everything looked fine (linkage, valve body etc.) But in the pan there were some huge chunks of metal like a bushing or washer had exploded. The front driveline was immovable even with the t-case in neut. i am stumped, and so is a tranny guy from AAmco.( he also took a look at the internals of the tranny. (the tranny is a TH350, mated to an NP205) Thanks

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

sounds like your transmission if it is pouring fluid out the front your pump has failed as far as your front drive shaft not turning make sure your hubs if you have them are unlocked and tcase not in gear

4x4k20

3. chevysrule

the hubs werent engaged and the t-case was in neut.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

a hub must be hanging up pull them and check front driveline again,
    your tranny died, the 205 cant 'slip' it spins or it dont.
    doubt the 205 is broken

formerly 77chev

5. chevysrule

this is all part of the same problem. I know that the hubs, and the front axle are ok. It has to be a problem with either the tranny or the t- case.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

IMO
    1- the tranny is baked
    2- the TC is fine
    3- you either dont actually have it in neutral or one of the hubs is hanging up and not allowing the front shaft to spin. you had to push the truck so I am guessing the TC is in N

you know the tranny is pooched as it is leaking like a stuck pig and has shrapnel in the pan
    break a 205, doubt it
    something is stopping the front shaft from turning, my bet is the hubs are engaged, turning the dial to free doesnt mean the hub is disengaged.

could be completely wrong just my $$$ would ride on that

formerly 77chev

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My spicers hang up when they need servicing...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

8. chevysrule

I removed the front and rear driveshafts, and removed the t-case. The rear yoke on the t-case is locked up, but the front seems to be ok. I'm guessing what happened is that the t-case failed (something binded or broke) causing the tranny to blow? Like I suspected the front end (including the hubs!!!) is perfectly fine.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

interesting,
    your first post claims the front driveline locked,
    now it is the rear.
    post some pic of the trans case carnage

formerly 77chev

10. chevysrule

i dont know why the front driveline unlocked. I will try to post some pics to explain this phenomenon. Something in the t-case must be seized