Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

T-Case Problems Help!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Camorokkrwlr, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Camorokkrwlr

Camorokkrwlr Registered Member

I have a 79k5 with a th400/208 and my t-case just randomly pops out of gear and then if you run the t-case shifter back and forth through the gears it will finally grab and thenit like normal till it does it again any ideas???

stan

2. royjones

royjones Trucker upper Premium Member

what about the linkage where the tr case shifter is hooked up is it lose

3. Camorokkrwlr

tcase problems help!!!

nope its all tight the linkage is fine but its actin like it pops out of gear when i let off the throttle i dunno it rather frustrating :mad:

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Without looking at it , I would still think the case is going to need rebuilt or replaced . Sooner or later it won't grab anything but 4 low .

5. Camorokkrwlr

tcase problems help!!!

will a 203 bolt up to my th400 :confused:

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

stay with the 208, I hate my 203 but yes it will bolt up to a 400 with its adapter

7. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

pardon the hi-jack

but my 208 does something similar..it will stay in 4hi no problem in the snow and mud..but when in a rocky/bumppy area..it would always pop into neutral...the ex always had to hold the shift lever or, i had to put in 4lo, as it never came out of 4lo..

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Check all the bolts..

You should try checking all the bolts that hold the T-case to the tranny,Crossmember,and adapter...also the crossmember itself to the frame--if the case can move around due to loose bolts or mounts,it will make it pop out of gear...

But the 208 case seems to have its share of shifter fork woes,and some guys have told me the rear output bearing's snap ring can break,and cause it to either pop out of gear,or not allow you to get all the "ranges"..I think the 208 in my 82 K20 has that problem--it will not come out of 4wd when I shift it to "2HI"...it just feels "limp" when I shift it into "2HI",like nothing inside the case is moving,(or the "fork" isn't disengaging the 4wd gears) ..so I have to drive it with the hubs unlocked,and let the driveshaft and axle shafts spin all day.Adjusting the linkage did nothing.. :mad:

..I bought a spare case,but the guys who told me about that snap ring say its not a hard job to fix--but I dont like fooling with T-cases--too many needle bearings in them,and I have BAD luck with those things!--I'd rather throw the "spare" case in and fix the other one after its out of the truck...I tried "fixing" one IN the truck once,and all the needles spilled into the case when I pulled the tailshaft off...had to pull it out,and I ended up getting another case.. :crazy:

9. Camorokkrwlr

i need to get it fixed soon cuz its my dd i have a np203 mated to a th350 and was wondering if the 203 will bolt up to my th00 with the parts i have :confused: i just dumped almost 3k into tires and wheels so i dont have much money to play with

10. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

get back in gear

Before you condemn it make sure the motor mounts and transfer mount are good. Mine was doing the same thing so I was going to swap it when I had to pull the engine. Pulled the engine to find the mounts were both broken along with the transfer allowing the transfer to move while the linkage stayed stationary allowing it to pop out of gear when I would let of on the gas real hard.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

TH350 T-case wont fit a TH400

The TH350 has 27 splines on the output shaft--a TH400 has a larger shaft with 32 splines...its possible to swap a TH400 input into theTH350 style T-case,but it means FINDING one off a TH400,(rare)and gutting it!--you might as well just put the whole case in and be done with it..

ANY T-case can be installed--IF you have the appropriate adapter,and the input on the T-case matches the tranny output shaft..and the driveshafts will likely need modifications(might need to be longer/shorter!..

Its always easier to fix whats already there...its nice to "beef up" things,but sometimes its not really nessasary.and can waste a lot of money...a TH350 and a NP208 are not "weak" by any means..not bulletproof either-- :crazy:

12. Camorokkrwlr

grrr

all motor and tranny mounts are good. i think i am gonna find a 205 for it cuz rather than spend the money and rebuild my 208 or convert my 203 it would be about the same price range to find a 205. i dunno im so cunfuzled :confused: about it and dont know what to do... i need to get it fixed quick tho....anyone wanna buy a blazer lol jk..might just scrap my whole running gear and swap in a duramax :D